Everything I Wish I Knew

Everything I Wish I Knew

Ten tips to incoming college freshman

15
Everything I Wish I Knew

So the time has finally come. You've finished your senior year of high school. You've filled out your FAFSA and completed your Entry Loan Counseling. You've said your goodbyes, and you've tied up loose ends. You're officially ready to go to college.

If you're anything like me, you've been counting down the days and it couldn’t have come faster. Of course it's necessary to pack your car to capacity with your bins filled with clothes, all the snacks you can eat, and that cute fuzzy rug you just had to have, but it's essential to have certain knowledge and insight before you enter college.

While some freshmen would rather go with the flow and figure it out for themselves, I would much rather someone give me advice instead of me having to learn certain things the hard way.

Here are 10 things things to remember along your journey that will carry you a long way in college and, ultimately, in life.

1. Have an open mind.

You are about to embark on a journey like no other. You have the opportunity to be around thousands of people who are different from you. Be open to new experiences and new people. Step out of your comfort zone. Feel comfortable with being uncomfortable. Not only will it allow you to expand your network (which is essential in college), it will allow you to grow as a person. It will challenge your mind and your character, which will help you grow as an individual.

2. Let go of your expectations.

Setting expectations allows you to set yourself up for disappointment. Everyone has an idea of what college will be like and it’s very rare that it will be exactly what you thought it would be. Since every person is different, every college experience will be different. Instead of holding on to what you hope your experience will be like, embrace your environment for what it is; it will allow you to find your place in such an unfamiliar setting.

3. Learn the art of time management.

This is essential to anyone's college career. You have to know when to work and when to play. If you can master the art of time management, you can be very successful in your college career. Study for that test tonight instead of going out to Thirsty Thursdays. There will always be another party; you won't always be able to boost your GPA. Find the perfect balance between school work, extra-curricular activities, social life, and sleep. And when you find it, let us know.

4. Be realistic about what you can and can't handle.

Don't spread yourself too thin. Yes, it's essential to be involved on campus, but be honest with yourself. If you know you can't handle four organizations and social life while staying on top of your school work, then pull out of something until you can learn to have balance. And besides, being dedicated to one or two organizations over time looks better than scattered resume builders to employers. It's okay to say "no" sometimes.

5. Ask for help when you need it.

College is not free. Whether you have a scholarship, loans, or your parents are paying out of pocket, someone is paying for you to get an education. So not taking your education seriously is a waste of someone’s money. If something isn't clear to you, do not wait until the last minute to ask for assistance. Most professors will be more than willing to help you, and it also shows initiative and dedication to your work.

6. End that high school relationship.

I know, it's the love of your life and you can't possibly live without them, but hear me out. You should try to avoid coming to college with anything that is going to distract from where you are trying to go. Staying in a relationship can make your transition more difficult because you’ll always rather be where they are instead of embracing your new environment. To be quite honest, being single in college is way more fun than being tied down to one person because it allows you to focus on you, while figuring out what you want in relationship. And besides, If it’s meant to be, your high school sweetheart will always be there.

7. Work hard.

If it wasn't for all of your hard work, you probably wouldn't be in college. Just because you made it in, doesn't mean the hard work stops. You have to keep working for your goals and continue to achieve them at whatever rate fits you. College is not easy. Sure, there are parties and organizations that contribute to the social aspect of college, but it's still an institute of higher learning. Your professors will assign you 10-page papers due in a week as if you don't have work for other classes. You will get your first "C" ever in life. You will not be able to keep the same study habits. You will mess up. And that's okay. As long as you don't give up, you will be fine. Effort is more important than perfection. At the end of those four years, that degree will be worth all the time and energy put forth. Start how you want to finish and work hard now so that you can play hard later.

8. Don’t let your parents make decisions for you.

Yes, I know this may be a weird piece of advice, but it's crucial. Your parents have made every decision for you up until this point. They may have even had an influence on your college decision. Eventually, every person needs to learn to live for themselves and what better time than your freshman year of college? If you’d rather be an Art major than a Biology major, do it! If you want to study abroad, do it! If you want to pledge, do it! If you don’t want to pledge, don’t do it! Doing what you want to make sure you have the best experience possible isn’t being disrespectful to your parents; it just means you’re beginning to come into your own. Take this time to redefine yourself, become the person that you always wanted to be. College is supposed to be a time for new experiences, so be sure to do what makes you happy.

9. Always lend a helping hand.

It's nearly impossible to go through college alone. So be sure to help others. People you attend college with become your family. You live with them, eat with them, all while attending classes with them. Lend your classmates the notes from that really hard history class or be that support system when they don't think they can make it another day. Be a shoulder to cry on when they find out that their bae has many other baes or a friend is overwhelmed with all of the emotional stresses that come along with college. You never know when you'll need the same.

10. Finally, enjoy yourself.

Seriously. As the years pass, you will often look back on how you've spent your time in college and you will soon realize that you could have done so many things differently. And to be honest, you'll feel as if you would give anything to go back to that carefree, happy-go-lucky, freshman taking general education classes, ready to take on the world. This time in your life only comes around once, why not make the most of it? If you think high school went by fast, just see how fast your freshman year of college goes by.

College is such a short period of time, and before you know it, you will be walking across the stage being handed your degree. Don't anticipate or worry too much about the future, because it is inevitable and time will stop for no man. So live it up, don't let your inhibitions or fears hold you back from having a fulfilling college experience. Embrace the experience, and have as much fun as possible before it gets real.