Meet the Change Agents of the AUC

Meet the Change Agents of the AUC

Changing ourselves, our communities and our world for the better.

15
Meet the Change Agents of the AUC

In October, 2001 the Joseph and Evelyn Lowery Institute for Justice and Human Rights was created. The birth of the institute came out of planning for Dr. Joseph Lowery's 80th birthday and its mission was to engage students and leaders from institutions and create change agents. Everyday change agents are developed. Whether in a new foundation or a big company, people assume the roles of being a change agent and it is no different here in Atlanta. Here in the AUC, students wear multiple hats such as leaders and entrepreneurs and now the word change agent has become another hat students in the AUC wear. In September, 2015, the Joseph and Evelyn Lowery Institute for Justice and Human Rights at Clark Atlanta University, had their annual retreat for the new class of change agents. These change agents were leaders and students from Spelman College, Clark Atlanta University, Clark Atlanta University's Whitney M. Young Jr. School of Social Work, Morehouse College and Georgia State's School of Social Work.

At the retreat, change agents learned about the founders Dr. Joseph and Dr. Evelyn Lowery, the purpose of the institute and most importantly, the job that we as students and change agents have to our community and this world. Since our weekend retreat, change agents have been hard at work in the schools around the AUC community. From Mon-Thursday Change Agents go into Mary McLeod Bethune Elementary, M. Agnes Jones Elementary, Brown Middle School, Forrest Hill Academy and the YMCA. During our allotted time in the school, we teach students about conflict resolution, using non-violent measures and participating in peer mediation. While we are serving and teaching students in the day, in the evening we learn from prominent figures in the African-American community such as Dr. Joseph Lowery and Ambassador Young. During these servant leader dinners and workshops, we delve into the topic of what is takes to be a servant leader and the importance of being pioneers for change in the community. We also learn about social entrepreneurship, and restorative justice.

A highlight about participating in the Joseph and Evelyn Lowery Institute is that I get to share the passion for change with my sisters and brothers of the AUC. This passion has united us and with it we get to learn how we can become a part of the solution to issues that are prevalent in our community and the world. I look forward to learning more as a change agent and I am proud of the AUC family I am proud of because together we are change agents. We are changing ourselves, our communities and our world for the better. For more information about the Joseph and Evelyn Lowery Institute and the change agents visit the website here.

As a Change Agent, my focus is the concern and well being of youth in the community surrounding the AUC. Additionally, I also wish to bring awareness to the detrimental trend of the School to Prison Pipeline. -Victoria Lay

“As a Change Agent, my goal is to promote self-love as well as love for others within our communities.” -Makeeda John

“As a Change Agent I will do my best to provide students with alternative ways to resolve conflict with their peers, so there is less emotional, mental, and physical distress in the school environment, which will ultimately improve success in the classroom.” -Imani Stokes

“As a Change Agent I plan to serve as a positive role model for the students and particularly to the young girls. I plan to teach the young girls about confidence, being their own beautiful self and providing them with STEPS that will allow them to succeed as they graduate and succeed in life.”