American Heroes And Unsung Heroes Of Today

The Oregon Shooting Hero, Chris Mintz and The Miracle on Hudson Hero, Sully Sullenberger

321
google.com

“Here’s to the people who get back up more times than they are knocked down, who give more than they ever expect to receive, who still show love to others, even when their own heart is broken, who smile through the sad times, who light the way for others, who spread laughter and joy. Thank you for making the world a better place.”

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-school-shooting-hero/

When we think of superheroes, do we think of the people that wear the capes and have abnormal super-strength, powers, and ninja-like qualities?

In my eyes, the real heroes are policemen, firefighters, veterans in the military, and common unsung heroes that are among our friends, family, and peers.

Recently this past week, a 26-year-old man went into Oregon Umpqua Community College and killed 10 people, wounding 9 others. Chris Mintz was attending his regular class at Umpqua Community College on Oct. 1 when the unnamed gunman came into the school and wounded many individuals in his classroom. When the gunman finished he turned to the door where Mintz was taking his place. He spoke to the gunman and said, "You aren’t getting past me." After Mintz and his classmates came out of the school, he went back inside to see if he could save any other people’s lives or if there was anyone in need. He started setting off all the alarms, directing people, and helping students of the community college. During the events of the shooting, he was shot 7 times but lived, and is now expected to make a full recovery.

In only a matter of seconds, this army vet became a true American hero. He put his life in danger to save others. Even when he was out of harm’s way, he decided to go back in and risk his life for the second time to help others.

The last words he said to the gunman was a heart-felt sentence to plead his life: "It’s my son’s birthday today." Thankfully his life was spared as well as many others' because of the courageous acts he did that day.

Another example of bravery happened several years ago, but it should never be forgotten. On Jan. 15, 2009, US Airways Flight 1549 had to make an emergency landing after one of the engines had hit birds, causing the engines to fail. Instead of being in a panic, Chelsey “Sully” Sullenberger safely landed the massive commercial airliner on the Hudson River. This courageous act saved the lives of 155 passengers onboard without hardly any injuries. This landing was one of the most successful water landings that has ever happened in the aviation history.

Any slight malfunction or breakdown could have sent the plane plunging into the bitter, below-freezing temperature waters of the Hudson River. With his collected thoughts and movements, Sullenberger saved the lives of so many that day.

Even though both of these heroes were recognized on a national level, they will still reminisce the characteristics of a true American hero for many years to come. After all the news agencies have left them in peace, they will go back to live their lives. In later years, some people will still recognize them, while others will walk past them without a glance. We should remember both of them for their extreme courage.

Our news is full of horrendous, catastrophic events that are happening around the world, so we should look at the positive side and see the greater good happening in America. Our military, medical professions, and police officers are here to keep us safe. They should not be a threat. They are our unsung heroes of America.

Have you thanked a firefighter, police officer, or medical personnel for doing their jobs to protect you? Sincerely thank them for all they do for you. They risk their lives so you can have yours. Raise your hand up and say ‘thank you’ because that is the least you can do for them. Our American heroes wear invisible capes.