4

Congratulations! You've escaped your mind-numbingly boring summer and you've returned to the promised land where the sun always shines and every Saturday is a holiday (GO COCKS).

As I enter my third year here at USC, I can't help but think back to last August and my sophomore slump. I felt completely unfulfilled and unhappy, despite the fact that I was surrounded by great friends and endless opportunities. Moving forward with the people in my life has helped me to realize that I wasn't the only person feeling this way and that, while its a completely normal experience, it can be remedied. 

Whether you're experiencing your college slump or simply feel like you aren't in a state of overall well-being, here are my suggestions of new year resolutions to help you and the people around you feel intentional, positive, and empowered to make this year the best one yet. 

Don't chop up your well-being. Sometimes we like to think that we can pinpoint the one reason we aren't happy or successful. Living in a sorority house full of estrogen and unintentional comparison, I may have heard (or said) them all. "If I had a boyfriend I'd be happy!" "If I lost 15 pounds I'd feel totally fine." "Don't you think if we had all A's we wouldn't be stressed anymore?" We choose what seems like the source of our discontent and focus all of our energy on it. Soon enough, you've reached your goal and you're ready to finally feel happy. But when you look around, your internship still isn't quite as impressive as your roommate's or your brother's girlfriend is still thinner than you are. Your self esteem should be based on whether or not you're a better person than you were yesterday. Are you working your absolute hardest in your classes? Are you consciously trying to become the type of person you want to attract in friendships and relationships? Wonderful! Don't compare the beginning of your journey to the middle of somebody else's (thanks, Pinterest!) 

If we're being honest, the gym is an awful place for me. I don't like the color my face turns when I move at a pace faster than walking and I can't stand the thought of whose sweat is on the mat I'm laying on. But its undeniable that my day takes a turn in the right direction after a long run or a killer spin class. You don't need to be working towards a triathlon or VS Angel legs, but you do need to stop making excuses and get off your lazy behind. Buy the group exercise pass and meet some workout friends. Instead of catching up with friends over frozen yogurt, walk and talk at the river. Do it for a healthy heart and a clear mind, not a hot body (even though that tends to be a result.) "Endorphins make you happy!" 

Learn to enjoy time alone. Being a hopeless combination of extrovert and chronic over-committer, this has always been my greatest personal struggle. The first step in this resolution is finding alone time, which for me meant escaping the house full of friends. Read, write, pin, smell shampoos at CVS for an hour, anything that can be entirely your own and requires no one else to make it enjoyable. 

Think about why instead of about what. Whether you are fulfilling a minimum number of volunteer hours or studying to become the best engineer there ever was, adopt a mentality that focuses on why you're working instead of what you specifically want to be. Keeping your eyes on the happiness you feel when you're helping others, your passion for connection and innovation or your desire to motivate large groups of people will give you humility and help you to be open to fantastic opportunities that might not be exactly what you pictured your life would hold. 

Get some sleep! No explanation needed. At least seven hours, every night. If you're debating whether or not you're too tired to go out, repeat after me: Pav's will still be there tomorrow night. 

Regardless of if this school year is your first, last, or somewhere in the middle, I encourage you to adopt and share a resolution. Break free from your feelings of frustration, alter your habits, and become the best possible version of yourself!