45 Things I Wish I Knew Before Freshman Year Of College

I wish someone had told me these things so I could have prepared for the best four years of life.

20000

1. People are a**holes in high school, but people can be a**holes in college too (shocker, right?).

DON’T LET THEM BREAK YOUR SPIRIT. If they don’t know you personally, don't take it personally.

2. Just because someone desires you does not mean they value you.

Read it over. Again. Let those words resonate in your mind.

3. What is meant to be will be. If a door has closed, stop banging on it.

It wasn’t meant for you in the first place.

4. You aren’t going to find your very best friend the first week of school, or even the first semester for that matter.

Become friends with as many different people as you can. Time will tell you who is there for you and who never is.

5. These really are some of the best times of your life.

EMBRACE THEM.

6. Have fun, but don’t lose sight of what is important.

Staying true to yourself, your family, and what you came there to do (getting a degree).

7. Don’t talk about people behind their back.

Everyone hears everything, especially in an all-girls dorm, and you wouldn’t like it if you heard girls talking badly about you behind your back.

8. Give everyone a chance and be kind to them.

I don’t care who they are.

9. If you are rushing, don’t worry about what sorority is “top tier.”

Go with your heart and the girls that make you feel comfortable, at home, and most importantly that you can be yourself with.

10. Do your laundry and clean out your mini fridge.

For real.

11. Pace yourself.

If you don’t, you will thoroughly regret it in the morning.

12. If you get asked to a function with a new fraternity or one that isn’t "top tier," GO!

There are sweet and cute guys in every fraternity and this is a great way to make new friends.

13. Also, during recruitment there is ALWAYS gossip and most of the time it is all completely made up.

Don’t listen to it, go with your gut instinct – it is usually right.

14. Dollar drinks are cool.

So is dollar pizza.

15. Thursdays are the best.

And also the worst.

16. But so are Mondays.

Just trust me. It's a fresh start.

17. And we have a new reason to love Sundays.

Game day.

18. Okay, just kidding, every day here is awesome.

But you have to keep your priorities straight and have balance.

19. Make friends everywhere.

In every sorority, with girls who aren’t in sororities, and with the girls on your hall.

20. Don’t hold anything back.

Introduce yourself to the girls who live on your hall or the cute guy in your poli-sci class (hello, function date!).

21. I really can’t say this enough, but GET INVOLVED with things that interest you.

Whether it be running for a position in your sorority or fraternity, joining an a capella group, a political group, an art club, a quidditch team, I really don’t care what it is, but do something. This is a great way to meet people who have similar interests and it teaches you how to manage your time, as well as being held responsible for something.

22. The nights you have to stay in doing homework will suck.

But only at the time. Your GPA will convey how hard you worked.

23. People can fool you.

Don’t be so hard on yourself when this happens. It really is a wonderful thing to give people the benefit of the doubt. Just be cautious with people.

24. Your mom and dad love and miss you more than you could even fathom.

It doesn’t hurt to call them.

25. The freshman 15 is a real thing.

You have a gym, use it.

26. Be yourself.

Sometimes this one is easier said than done. You are in a new place and you can be anyone you like, but people like you better when you show them the real you.

27. It is better to have respect than attention.

Never forget this.

28. You have what it takes to be successful.

You just have to put your mind to it.

29. Your group message from high school will probably slow down.

And that's okay. It doesn't mean you aren't friends anymore, it just means you all are happy and enjoying where you are.

30. You will great days. And then you will have those days that feel like your world is crumbling.

Push through them.

31. It’s okay to make mistakes.

You just have to learn from them and realize that they do not define you.

32. Try and surround yourself with the right crowd.

People who are genuine friends and really bring out the best in you.

33. You will meet all types of different people with all different opinions.

You don’t have to agree with them, but at least listen to them and respect them. You would want them to do the same for you.

34. Late night food is a blessing and a curse.

Tread carefully.

35. Your school is not as big as you think.

People figure you out quickly, so make sure the image you are giving of yourself is a positive one, one that you would be proud of. If you aren’t, it will follow you all four years.

36. You will have fights with your roommate.

That’s normal.

37. If you are in a sorority, don’t be scared to hang out in the sorority house or talk to older girls.

They would love it and are dying to get know the new baby nugs.

38. Speaking of roommates, always ask if you want to borrow something and communicate when something is bothering you.

More importantly, ask them to do the same.

39. Go to the games.

Cheer on your school at sporting events and show how much you love your school.

40. Be a good friend.

And in turn, you will have good friends.

41. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

If you are struggling in a subject, get a tutor or talk to your teacher.

42. Especially if you are sick (physically, or emotionally.)

Don’t be scared to go to the student health center and ask for help.

43. Don’t be afraid to say "no."

Period.

44. Stand up for what you believe in.

Even if you are standing alone.

45. "This is the beginning of anything you want."

So act like it.

"Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle." - Christian D. Larsen