5 Ways To Keep Up With The News

5 Ways To Keep Up With The News

73
5 Ways To Keep Up With The News
ShutterShock

In the past week, we have experienced terror in Lebanon, Paris, and Mali-- only to name the most popular locations. The U.S. has argued on letting in Syrian refugees. Mizzou students have protested over and over for equality, something you would think by 2015 would not even be a question. Debates for the United States' next president continue week by week.

The point is, the world is changing. And it has truly never stopped changing! But we are alive in a beautiful time of timely, public information. Every day there are millions of forms of media present to help us stay connected, helps us find new points of view, and help us stay informed.

Here are my top 5 ways to keep up with news from week to week:

1. Download the CNN App for iPhone or Android

Having this app on my phone since the Paris attack has been the easiest way to stay up to date with what's happening in the world around me. With brief pop-up updates, the second you wake up you can be knowledgable in what you have missed from each story around the world in a matter of seconds.

2. Make a Twitter account and follow the leading news organizations in countries of your choice

I love twitter for this reason more than most others. Yes, it is used mostly as a social media website for friends and memes, but when something happens worldwide, Twitter begins chatting before most sites pick up and report on the event.

3. Make a top news website your homepage

This is a super easy fix to keep something in front of you throughout the day. With most of our work being done on computers anyway, it's an easy step to take to stay in the loop.

4. Try to talk to adults in your life about what's happening in the news.

When I go home throughout the year, I tend to want to have warm, comfortable times with my family. This may not include politics, but from time to time it is important to get outside opinions-- even from other generations! And it doesn't necesarily have to even be your parents, it could be an aunt, uncle, or older friend.

5. Bring up relevant news events in classes when group discussions are possible.

Again, talking brings up new perspectives, generates ideas and solutions. What's better than breaching difficult subjects in classes that are based around that very concept? Plus your teacher will appreciate that you have brought thoughtful conversation to the class.