Get Involved! It's Crucial.

Get Involved! It's Crucial.

What are you interested in?

8
Get Involved! It's Crucial.

Are you more of an artsy person who would like to be a part of an art club? Maybe you're into tabletop games and would like to meet others with similar likes.  Do you seek adventure while getting college credit? Maybe you're religious and would like to get involved with a religious organization. No matter what you're interested in or what you like, here at SDSU we have something for everyone.

"Get involved," are the two words that everyone has heard at least once since you first got your acceptance letter. The reason the university pushes for this is because studies have shown that students who get involved and make a connection, are more likely to return and complete their higher education at SDSU. It makes sense if you think about it. If you don't make a connection and don't meet people you can relate to, you're going to have a negative experience so the sooner you get involved, the better. The great thing about being an Aztec is that you have so many opportunities to get involved. Here are a few ways and places to get more information.  

Student Life and Leadership. So this should be your first stop if you have a slight interest in getting involved as an Aztec. Student life and leadership is referred to as SLL on campus and their office is located on the second floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. SLL oversees all student organizations. We have over 300 student orgs. that you can select from, and the great thing is, that they're all listed on their website. To make things less complicated, you can do a search to narrow down the list. We offer religious, academic and major based, social, leadership based, political, community service orientated, Greek life and many more types of organizations. It's guaranteed that we'll have a club for you. If you don't find an organization that you like, you can start your own with the help of four friends and a staff advisor. It's that easy!

Associated Students. AS is another great way to get involved if you're more into student government. Here's what their website says, "Associated Students (A.S.) is an independent student-directed corporation that is one of the largest student governance organizations in the CSU system. As an affiliate of San Diego State University, the programs and facilities A.S. manages are enjoyed by students, faculty, staff and the SDSU Community." So in more clear terms, AS makes other universities jealous of our campus and students. AS operates the student union, Viejas Arena, the Open Air Theater, the ARC, the Mission Bay Aquatic Center, scripps cottage, and the Children's center. They also have many boards and committees to get involved with so be sure to visit their office on the third floor of the union to get more information on ways to be a part of AS.

Aztec Recreation Center. Since AS operates the ARC, there are many things you can do to get involved and stay healthy and fit. At the Aztec Rec. Center, we have a 30 foot rock wall and intramural sports to take advantage of. We also have club sports that you can be a part of if you try out and make the team. In addition to that, we have recreation classes that you can take for one unit of college credit! Some of these classes include surfing, stand up paddling, wake boarding, rock climbing, golf, bowling and more. These classes are a great way to relieve some stress and get away from the textbooks, and maybe even the roommate!

Other. There are so many more ways to get involved on campus that will allow you to make a connection. Some of these other ways include joining a college council, RHA (for students living in the residence halls), SDSU Ambassadors, study abroad, becoming a peer health educator, and more. To get more information on all the ways to get involved, visit the SLL website!
http://studentaffairs.sdsu.edu/SLL/studentorgs/lis...

Next time you're on campus, be sure to check out the SLL office. You can also wait for the Student Life Expo that will take place the first week of the semester. This event will allow student organizations to table and hand out information to interested students. Whatever you do, stay open minded and find something you like and something you're truly passionate about. Getting involved will make your college experience worthwhile! 

If you're not sure how to go about getting involved, feel free to send me a tweet or email!