11 Times Ben Rector Gave You The Best Advice For College

Because sometimes you feel like a Sailboat and Out Of Your Head, but you just gotta Let The Good Times Roll.

1474
Austin 360

Over the past 10 years, Ben Rector has steadily built up a catalog of genuine music unlike the majority of today’s pop hits. His work is admirable, to say the least, but what sets him apart from today’s typical artists is that his lyrics have substance. His words have a meaning. Below are 11 songs with advice from Ben Rector that can be applied to your daily life in college:

1. I Like You

“Cause life is not the mountain tops, it’s the walking in between”

Life isn't always perfect. You're not always going to be on top, and that's okay. Life isn't all about the best moments, it's about every moment, whether that's your highest high, your lowest low, or anywhere in between. The majority of your life will be somewhere in between, so do your best to make the most of every opportunity that life throws your way.

2. Crazy

“We've got dinner reservations with our friends later tonight and it might get crazy... We probably won't get crazy... Unless you guys want appetizers”

Not every night is going to be the next unbelievable story that you tell after you graduate from college. Actually, odds are that tonight probably won't be one of those nights, and that's ok. Life is already crazy enough, and sometimes all you need is a few friends and some food to unwind and enjoy the time you have at school. And hey, if you're feeling bold, you go ahead and order that appetizer, you crazy animal.

3. Sailboat

“I feel just like a sailboat, I don’t know where I’m headed”

Okay, so maybe this doesn't fit under the category of advice, but if Ben Rector can admit that he doesn't always know what he's doing or where he's going, then so can you. College is full of unplanned twists and turns, and sometimes, it seems like no matter what you plan, things always go a different way. That's what makes life interesting. You don't always have to know what's next in life, just take advantage of the moment and everything else will fall into place.

4. Like The World Is Going To End

“Now that I think about it, maybe I should always live like the world is gonna end.”

You've probably heard a similar phrase before, but there's no better motivation to live life to the fullest than knowing that the world is about to end. And, hey, for all you know, today is your last day on Earth, so why not take advantage of every opportunity? Regardless of when the world ends, college only lasts a few years, and eventually, it's time to enter the real world. So, live every day like it's your last, take advantage of every opportunity, and live in every moment. That's the only way to truly get the most out of life.

5. Out Of My Head

“I’m out of my head, I’m out of control, I’m out of my mind again.”

Remember that time you thought taking 18 credit hours was a good idea because it would put you ahead? And now you're stuck with five finals in three days and running on three hours of sleep, all while trying to maintain that coveted 4.0 GPA. First of all, my dude, bold move taking 18 credit hours, like props to you for even considering that. Maybe you do feel a little out of your mind. That's ok. You'll get through it. Maybe you won't still have that 4.0 after all these exams, but life isn't all about grades, contrary to popular belief. A number doesn't define you, your character does. Go ahead and start that 5th cup of coffee and kill those exams you have.

6. Note To Self

“Don’t let yourself worry quite as much. It’ll end up fine enough, it always has up until now.”

Have you ever thought, "If I can just finish this project my life will be so much easier?" What about, "If I can just make this relationship work then everything else will fall into place?" Yeah, me too. And every time you think you've got it all together, life decides to throw something else at you. It's just like Ben says: "It'll end up fine enough, it always has up until now." It may not seem like it at the time, but everything will work out, just like it has in the past. Approach each obstacle as an opportunity and take advantage of the moment.

7. 30,000 Feet

"I’ve walked into harder times; I’ve walked out the other side. It seems like you end up getting what you need… life’s been good to me.”

Let's face it, sometimes college can be pretty tough. Remember that one time you had to type an 8-page paper that your professor assigned on Friday and made it due on Monday? Or that time you had three exams on the last day of finals week and you thought you were going to pass out from study-overload? Yeah, I feel your pain. But you know what? You got through it. Sure, it might have been difficult, but you did it, and now you can conquer anything (or almost anything).

8. Let The Good Times Roll

“Let the good times roll, hey baby throw your cares away. Let the good times roll, leave your worry for another day. Let the good times roll, leave yesterday behind, let the good times roll tonight.”

Sometimes you just need a break from this crazy thing we call life. It's ok to take a day off. Life isn't all about pushing your limits every single second. Sometimes you just need to take a step back and soak in the moment, whether that's sitting on the beach, hiking through the mountains, or unwinding at your favorite coffee shop. Whatever your way of relaxing is, take advantage of it every now and then, and let the good times roll.

9. Hank

“When you find yourself alone in times of trouble, reach inside you and above you, there’s nothing He can’t heal.”

It's easy to forget that you're not the one who controls your life, God does. He has a plan for you, and it's your responsibility to pursue that plan daily. Sure, sometimes life is a struggle, and sometimes you wonder if things could be any more difficult. Don't give up. God's got you, and He's got a plan for you. If God is for us, who can be against us?

(Side note: you may not have heard the song "Hank" before because it's not on Spotify, but it's available on iTunes on the album "Songs That Duke Wrote." It's without a doubt, it's my favorite song by Ben Rector and I would definitely encourage you to check it out if you haven't already.)

10. Follow You

“Go on, leave your worries, too, not a bit of good they do. There’s a word that’s coming through, go on, leave your worry, too.”

It might seem like I'm repeating myself in using several lyrics that are similar, but that only further emphasizes the point that Ben Rector is trying to make. Life is too short to worry about what could happen or what should have happened. Worrying will get you nowhere so leave your concerns in the past. Focus on the present and what God has called you to do. "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." (Matt. 6:34)

11. Thank God For The Summertime

“No cares and I’m doing fine, no cares and I’m doing fine. Thank God for the summertime.”

Ah, you finally made it. Sure, it may be disappointing to have to leave your friends for a few months while you go back home, but there's something different about life in the summertime. Life slows down, old friends come home, families reunite, and everything just seems a little better. These 3 short months are the time for you to set aside a little extra time to enjoy all that life has to offer before returning back to school. Thank God for the summertime.

Below is a complete playlist featuring these 11 songs. If you haven't heard all of them I would definitely encourage you to check them out, as well as Ben Rector's entire catalog. It is available on both Spotify and iTunes.