10 Creative Ways To Remember Your Trip

10 Creative Ways To Remember Your Trip

Because sometimes a Facebook photo album isn't enough

2265
10 Creative Ways To Remember Your Trip
Pretty Things & Co.

Nowadays it seems like the world (or, at least, social media) is full of couples or individuals who have given up their 9 to 5 jobs to live a wanderer's life of traveling. While this may seem exciting, most of us just stick with the vacation or travel break a few times a year. When you can't live a life of travel, the next best thing is having souvenirs to remember your trip. But cheap souvenirs that end up cluttering your house aren't the ideal way to capture memories. Instead, try some of these unique ways to never let your trip die.

1. Get a piercing (or tattoo)

During my semester abroad in London, I got my cartilage pierced. It was something small and doesn't have to be permanent, but whenever I get to say that I got it pierced in London, it's a pretty cool feeling. I'm also reminded of my trip every time that I see it. Just remember to thoroughly research whatever place you go to get it done. Also, if you're feeling extra adventurous, you could get a tattoo reminder of the trip!

2. Find a pen pal

One of the best ways to remember your trip is to let it continue vicariously through someone who lives there permanently! Meeting someone, be it at a church, activity, mutual friend, or some other way, and agreeing to be pen pals (even if it's just via e-mail) can be a great way to continue to learn about the culture and lifestyle of that place.

3. Learn the language

This is obviously easier if you're staying at the location for a while, but if that's not the case, learning even just a few phrases in the language can help bring back memories. It's also a bonus that you sound cool when you can say you actually learned German in Germany.

4. Write letters to yourself

If it's a shorter trip, take the time to write a quick summary of the day on a postcard and mail it to your home address. When you get back, you'll have a fun and easy journal summary of the trip!

5. Assign a specific scent or taste

The sense of smell is actually the number one sense that brings back memories. Just think of how every time you smell campfire smoke you're transported back to making s'mores, or how a certain candle can bring to mind memories immediately. Since smell and taste are related, taste can also have this effect. Make use of this by associating a scent or taste with the trip. Buy a new perfume or cologne right before the trip to use, or have something like a certain flavor of Altoids or gum that you eat often throughout the trip. Even when you're home, when you smell or taste these things again, it will feel like you're right back on the trip.

6. Create your own souvenir

Go beyond a scrapbook. Try taking an art class or doing an art workshop when you travel. You get the fun experience of the class, and will have made something yourself that will always remind you of the trip.

7. Bring a trip buddy

Many people can remember their elementary school days of reading "Flat Stanley" and then creating their own and sending it off to friends and relatives to have them take a picture in some far off place (even if that was just one state over). Take a note from this and create/bring a "travel buddy," whether it's a small stuffed animal, a character cut out of paper, or something else. Take pictures of it with landmarks and other good memories, and you'll have a creative way to re-tour the city.

8. Start a collection

Sometimes, the cheap, obvious souvenirs are the best option, but add even more meaning to them by getting one of the same thing every place you visit. Magnets, pens, snow globes--all things easily found in any souvenir shop, but when combined into a collection they make an inexpensive way to remember every place you've been.

9. Make a vlog

If journaling isn't your thing, try taking videos of yourself when you're out and about doing fun activities, to capture both what you're doing and you're commentary on it. Who knows, if you're lucky you could go viral.

10. Remember where you've walked

Wherever you end up, you've crossed a lot of ground. Commemorate it by have a special pair of shoes on which you write every location they've been to in Sharpie, or some other symbol that will remind you the miles they've seen.