10 Secrets To A Pinterest-Level Dorm

10 Secrets To A Pinterest-Level Dorm

Can a dorm actually look that great?

7402
10 Secrets To A Pinterest-Level Dorm

As I prepare for my sophomore year of college, all I can think about is how excited I am to decorate my new apartment with my best friends. Move in day cannot come fast enough. My Pinterest board of ideas is poppin', and I can't help but stop at Home Goods everyday on my way home from my internship, just to make sure they didn't add any new merchandise while I was away!

However, I remember last summer perfectly. I recently graduated from high school and I was anxious as could be to start my new college career. I was an incoming freshman with the dream of having the perfect dorm room. The Internet was full of fantastic DIY ideas and pictures of beautifully decorated rooms. Yet, everyone said those Pinterest images were unattainable. No ones's room actually looks like that!

FALSE!

It is absolutely, completely and entirely possible to have a Pinterest worthy dorm room. I consider myself an expert in this field considering that my freshman year dorm room was shaped like a U. I recall the horror I felt the minute I walked into my strangely shaped room like it was yesterday.

Upon entrance, there was one small hallway, then the room widened a little in the middle, then the other side had another small hallway to the adjoining bathroom. It was abnormally shaped and super tiny. At first glance, my roomie and I thought the room was doomed. Yet, we made it work and managed to have the best room in Nanticoke.

So listen up, as I divulge the top kept secrets to achieving a Pinterest worthy dorm.

1. The bed is the focal point of the room.

Chances are your room is going to be TINY, so don't get your hopes up too high. Therefore, it is vital to have a comforter that pops and grabs attention. Picking the perfect comforter is the hardest decision. You want one that expresses your style and can last a couple years. Your bed will function not only as a place to sleep, but also as a couch and super cute decorating piece!

Tip: There is no such thing as too many pillows.

I'd recommend buying a unique duvet cover, then go and purchase a comforter set from somewhere like Amazon. This allows you plenty of options for your comforter as well as a way to save on a set of necessities (blankets, pillows, egg carton, towels, etc!!).

2. Never say "No" to wall hangings.

Upon your arrival, the walls are going to be blank and bare--yuck! Now is the perfect opportunity to spice things up and truly express who you are. Bring a collage of pictures from home, buy a cool tapestry, break out the paint and decorate some canvases, maybe if you're lucky you'll be hanging sorority letters in there one day!

Ikea also has super cheap frames, an easy DIY is to spray paint them any color of your choosing or buy glass pebbles from the dollar store and glue them on the frames. They're quick, easy, and super cute.

You could also use Wasabi tape to create your own frames! It's a really easy DIY! Craft stores sell the tape everywhere, from there all you need are some scissors and photos!

Then there's Amazon, which has a ton of unique art prints and tapestries! Often, campuses will have poster sales during the start of the semester, go check it out!

However, please BE AWARE the different type of walls you have will bring different rules regarding what can be used to hang things with. My dorm didn't allow command strips or sticky tape--only thumb tacks. However, I discovered that picture frame hooks are the exact same size as thumb tacks and can hold heavier items!

Amazon has everything you'll need to help hang things on the walls.

Several people would walk into my dorm, pause and say "wow this is what I want my apartment to look like!"

That was because I had a GAZILLION things on my walls! Do not be afraid to decorate your walls, leave no space uncovered!

3. Christmas lights are your best friend.

A common issue people have with their roommate is dealing with the lights. Like if your roommate wants to go to bed early but you're still cramming for a test, Christmas lights are a happy compromise. Hanging them along the ceiling is adorable and helps to create a homey feel!

Another good use of the lights is a photo wall!

Strip the lights along the wall and hang your photos, it's a touch of home and a great way to spruce up the room.

4. Invest in extra tabletop space.

One of the first things my roomie and I did was go to Amazon and purchase an extra bookcase and coffee table. This provided two more surfaces for funky knick knacks and fun little decorating pieces!

That being said--every single surface counts.

Even the top of your mini fridge should be used! That's a great spot to show off your super cute mugs. I even found an awesome elephant tea holder, doubling as an accessory and a necessity.

Your desk is a place for more than just your books! Use that space to your advantage and add to it with fun pieces that help show who you are. Even your jewelry should make a statement.

Here's an earring holder I made with a cheap picture frame, cardboard, fabric and some netting from Micheals (I put my own spin on the instructions!).

5. Ballin' on a budget.

Knowing where to shop to get the most for your money is super important! Don't fall victim to overpriced items!

Just think, MATH... Marshalls, Amazon, TJ Maxx and Homegoods.

Use the power of MATH to save your wallet.

The home section of Marshalls and TJ Maxx is an absolute dream come true, especially during a sale. The same goes for Homegoods. All of their items are unique, fun and reasonably priced. They have vital decorating items such as wall hangings, lamps, throw pillows, blankets, and the necessary knick knacks.

When it comes to Amazon, you can find almost anything and have it delivered right to your door. The best thing being that all the price tags will make your wallet smile.

Kirklands and Pier One Imports also have a ton of cute stuff. I personally wait until the items are on sale before diving in, knowing that eventually almost everything will be discounted.. yay!

Tip: It is super important to slowly acquire decorating items over time, so during the summer buy things here and there instead of all at once--your wallet will thank me later.

If you like coupons download the Micheals and Joann Fabrics App's! Their coupons are accepted at either stores. They have all the necessary DIY materials as well as other cute home items that are simply MUST haves.

Tip: You do not need to buy new everything! Work with what you have! Cover old pillows with fabric, or paint an old end table.

Saving your money and scouring out the sales will help you go far while searching for the perfect room decor!

6. A funky chair is a must.

Every room needs a comfy accent chair! This is the go to spot for guests to sit on, as well as a potential "laundry chair." It's a perfect chance to add to the room. It'll need more pillows (yes!) and a unique throw blanket for maximum decorating. It doubles as a nice seat as well as a wonderful accent piece.

Tip: Bring an extra cushion for your desk chair. You'll be using it a lot so let your bum be comfortable during the long hours of studying!

Choose your throw blanket wisely as it'll be your go to warmth on cold days and long nights of studying!

A unique ottoman is another option too! If you're trying to save on space they're smaller in size and still a great place for guests to sit, some even have storage!

7. Decorate for the holidays.

My family always goes all out decorating for the holidays, so I was super excited when I learned that my roomie was also an avid holiday decorator! During the holiday seasons go to the local dollar store and stock up on holiday items! Your room will feel much merrier and so will you!

Decorate your own mini Christmas tree, have a fun Halloween welcome mat! Have a bowl of Easter candy out by the door. Decorating for the holidays will also give you something to look forward to!

8. Talk to your roommate.

This is the most obvious but important rule! You have to get a feel of your roomies style in order to incorporate it with your own. For example, you wouldn't want clashing comforters...that'd totally mess with the flow of the room.

Find out if she wants to bring a tapestry! Work around each other styles in order to mesh them together and build the perfect room.

Make a conjoined Pinterest board! That's a fast and easy way to see what you both like.

9. Study queen.

Chances are most of your waking hours during the school week will be spent studying. For some, that means living in the library, but for others, such as myself, this means that most of my time will be spent at my desk. So it's gotta be cute!

You desk is going to be the second most used spot in your room, after your bed. Therefore, you totally have to take advantage of this space.

Get some cute bookends!

Keep everything organized. This will help you study better and keep the room looking neat.

Create a cork board or deck out the walls of your desk with photos of home, that way you have something fun to look at while procrastinating.

Find a unique pencil holder that stands out! Another desk necessity is a cute frame or candle. I also had a DIY jar of m&m's on my desk.

It's small details like this that will help to pull it all together!

10. Be yourself.

You are amazing and ultimately your dorm is a way to show the world! This is going to be your home away from home, so make it yours! Don't be embarrassed to show off your style and what you love. Dedicate a whole collage to your dog if that's what makes you happy! You want to feel comfortable at school, and being in a well decorated room is the key.

So express yourself and nothing can go wrong! Keep your eyes open and dream of a Pinterest dorm, it's definitely in your future.

Please note that all items are in stock as of the time of publication. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.