11 Signs You're From Maine

11 Signs You're From Maine

The way people should be.

2553
11 Signs You're From Maine
www.apiara.com

Located in the northeastern most section of the United States, Maine is a state filled with spectacular views, delicious food, and genuine people. Whether you are a winter sports enthusiast, admirer of nature, water lover, or just simply like to relax, Maine most certainly has something to offer. With 3,500 miles of coastline, a number of state parks, incredible city life in Portland and endless restaurants, there is simply nothing you can’t do in the Pine Tree State. Above all, what makes Maine so incredible is the people who give the state character. Mainers are genuine, caring, and kindhearted people, always willing to lend a hand, while still remaining tough and unwavering. Here are just a few characteristics that make Mainers the people they are:

1. You love water.

With a large portion of Maine bordering the Atlantic Ocean and roughly 6,000 ponds and lakes, Mainer’s share an intrinsic love for the water. Whether it is, swimming, fishing, boating, or any other aquatic activity, there is always something to do involving the water. Most importantly, however, water is one of Maine’s most beautiful and breathtaking features, providing residents and tourists alike a place to relax and enjoy life.

2. You get angry when people from other states talk about how much snow they get.

Each and every time you hear a resident of another state discuss the amount of snow they get, you are physically and emotionally pained. Even worse is the claim that they got more snow than Maine; nothing sparks more anger in a true Mainer than such a statement.

3. “Wicked” is an integral part of your vocabulary.

Wicked is a word typically used to describe something that is despicable, evil, and morally incorrect; however, in Maine the word takes on a completely new meaning. In the Pine Tree State, the word wicked is used to emphasize intensity and replaces words like very, really, and extremely. For instance, someone may describe their lobster dinner as “wicked good!” or “wicked fresh!”

4. There is no amount of driving that ever seems long.

While many may be complaining about their 10-minute drive to the grocery market or 25-minute excursion to the other side of town, Mainers see no amount of distance or time as long. As a result of Maine’s large size, there is no place that doesn’t take, at minimum, 30 minutes to get to. For those who do not come from Maine, this would be a painful proposition. However, for those born and raised in the state, it’s simply a fact of life you’ve come to accept and even enjoy!

5. You’ve also risked your life driving in a winter snowstorm at least 100 times, and you were probably going 65 mph.

Against the recommendation of both parents and weathermen alike, we’ve all ventured out into a blizzard of epic proportions. While doing so would typically cause many to reduce their speed, to a true Mainer, a blizzard is a call to go faster. Although the roads may be covered in four inches of ice and visibility is zero, there is nothing that will stop a Maineiac from getting where they need to go.

6. You despise tourists.

Living in the “vacationland,” there is bound to be tourists and seasonal guests. While such an event is considered normal in many states, to year-round residents of Maine, tourists are still seen as an unwelcome nuisance. No matter where you go throughout the summer, there is a constant barrage of vacationers, infiltrating restaurants, beaches, and amusement parks, all trying to get the full Maine experience. Tourist season leaves native Maine residents perturbed, frustrated, and almost wishing for winter, when the state is once again returned to them.

7. You’re an expert at eating lobster.

From the moment you were born, you’ve been meticulously taught and conditioned that no state does lobster quite like Maine. While lobster is an incredibly delicious entrée, it is sometimes difficult to eat, but not for Mainers. As a kid growing up in Maine, you are trained on the tips and tricks of eating lobster and know exactly where the most succulent meat is hidden.

8. You know what moxie, red hot dogs, and humpty dumpty chips are.

While you may or may not enjoy these selections, Mainer’s recognize them to be part of the state’s culture. Events like the Moxie festival in July and the presence of both red hot dogs and humpty dumpty chips at each and every barbeque and get together you attend throughout the summer, demonstrate Maine’s appreciation for these items.

9. L.L. Bean is your life.

L.L. Bean is a Mainer’s go-to store for almost any need or want. Whether one is looking for a new piece of apparel, camping supplies, or anything in-between, they will most likely find the item at this incredible store. L.L. Bean is based in Freeport, Maine, and was founded in 1912. Today, the store is a state landmark, with the giant “Bean” boot out front making for a perfect photo-op and the seemingly endless displays and activities providing fun for every member of the family; one could truly spend an entire day just at L.L. Bean.

10. You’ve experienced every season

One of the most unique and incredible features Maine boasts are the distinct and different seasons. Although some may enjoy some seasons more than others, if you live in Maine, you experience the hot summers, cool fall, below-zero winter, and blooming spring. Also, with each comes something new to appreciate; such as the foliage in the fall, snow in the winter, flowers in spring and summertime sunsets. As a result, you truly get a change of scenery every few months and can continually take in every aspect of nature’s beauty.

11. You have a deep appreciation and love for your state and its beauty.

Most importantly, Mainer’s love and appreciate their home state and take pride in being from Maine. Living in Maine is a chance to discover something new each day and have a life-changing adventure whenever you choose. With its breathtaking scenery, vibrant downtown, beautiful coast, and incredible people, simply nothing compares to the vacationland. Whether one moves away or chooses to stay, Maine will always hold a special place in one’s heart and the state’s culture will most certainly continue to reflect through one's values, beliefs, and character. No matter where you go, you know you’ll always carry a piece of home.