15 Things Things I Would Tell My Freshman Self

44

September 2nd: the beginning of the end; my end at least. It's the first day of my senior year and I can't help but think how much easier college would've been if I knew then, what I know now. 

I'll be honest with you, I am ABSOLUTELY terrified of graduating. I am so scared, in fact, that I've actually forbidden my closest friends from uttering the "g" word in my presence. College has been an amazing experience and I'm not ready to let that go. When I entered college as a freshman, however, I couldn't have been more overwhelmed. How would I make friends? What if I failed out in my first semester? What if I was that girl who was 20 minutes late to class on the first day because I couldn't find the building? Thankfully, I managed to forge a path for myself that led to an incredible time in college. In doing so, I picked up some tips and tricks about life in college that I wish someone had told me on that first day of school. 

That being said, here are the top 15 things I wish I could tell my former, freshman self.

1. Avoid 8AM classes
If you think that getting up everyday at 6AM for high school would make it easy to take 8AM classes, you're wrong. I attempted four 8AM classes my first semester and it was catastrophic. Your schedule in college is a lot different than high school and your sleep patterns will change. While not all 8AM classes are able to be evaded, I would recommend you try your best.  

2. Join a club or organization
The best decision I ever made was joining my sorority. Unfortunately, I didn't make that decision until my sophomore year. Getting involved is the best and easiest way to meet people who value the same things you do. Rush sororities or fraternities, join an intramural sports team, or start your own club; just get involved.

3. Make friends with your dorm-mates
It's pretty well known that freshmen get the short end of the stick when it comes to housing. I ended up having to live in a basement with 7 other girls as roommates until we were assigned actual rooms. It's a good life skill to learn how to coexist with people you're not close with. Make an effort to get to know the people who share your living space, they'll be there all year. 

4. Go to office hours 
Your goal in college is to be someone for whom your professor will write a glowing recommendation. In order to do so, they actually have to know who you are. Sitting in the back of a class is the least effective way to make a good impression. In a lecture with 150 students, make sure your face and name are known as a student who makes an effort. That way, you'll have someone to turn to when it comes time to apply for internships and graduate school.

5. Raise your hand in class
I was voted most talkative in high school. I could converse with a brick wall if it was painted an interesting shade of red. In class though, I was so nervous to answer a question incorrectly that I never spoke at all. Ask questions, make comments, take part in your learning experience. Don't sit idly as everyone around you learns something new. 

6. The "freshman 15" is REAL  
Junk food has never been more accessible than it is in college. Staying up all night, getting pizza at 3 in the morning after a night of drinking, and the increased alcohol intake that comes along with freshman year will absolutely take a toll on your health. Make sure you stay aware of what you're putting into your body.

7. It's okay to be single
College is centered around new experiences. You don't need to find your soulmate just because your parents were college sweethearts. Date around, get to know your peers. Make sure that your college experience is exactly the way you want it to be. 

8. It's okay to be in a relationship
That being said, don't let the fact that you're in college stop you from being in a committed relationship. College is a time to meet new people and to gain new life experiences, but it doesn't mean you can't commit yourself to one person and still have fun. My boyfriend and I have been dating for three years and we haven't even thought twice about if we're missing out on college experiences. We're both in Greek life and take full course loads, but we still have time to enjoy each other's company. 

9. Call your mom
Your mom (or dad) considers you getting into college one of her most impressive feats. She's worked her entire life to make your life a success. College is fun and I know that I spent my fair share of free time sleeping or Netflix bingeing, but you should really make time to get in touch with your parents. They miss having you home and they just want to know what's going on in your life. When you think about it, you owe them everything so a phone call once a week really isn't all that much of an imposition. 

10. STUDY!
Your GPA defines you, at least, as far as graduate school is concerned. Freshman year is the most volatile year because if you slack off in the beginning and start out with low grades, it's only going to be an uphill battle from there. Your classes will get harder as you continue your college education. Freshman year is going to consist of the easiest courses you'll take in college, so make sure you are acing them!  

11. You don't have to have it all figured out
Not knowing what you want to be when you grow up is not a disaster. You have four years to learn and to grow and if your mind isn't made up on day one of college, don't sweat it. Figure out what you like to do, what makes you happy, and try to incorporate that into your studies and eventually your career path.

12. Experiment! 
In a new school, no one knows anything about you. You're not the same person you were in high school, unless you want to be. College is an opportunity to reinvent yourself. Try new things and take new risks. You'll figure out who you really want to be in the process.

13. Keep an open mind
College is a melting pot for all kinds of kinds. Not everyone you meet will share your opinions, and that is perfectly okay. Not everyone is going to like you or agree with you and it isn't your job to make them. Try your best to inhabit the same campus peacefully, and everything will work out for you.

14. Go to the football games
One of the most exciting things about being in college is the feeling you get when you, along with you fellow classmates, join together in the spirt of supporting your team! Going to football games makes you feel like you really belong at your school and there's nothing better than the high you get when you team wins the game and you were there to witness it first hand! 

15. Enjoy being a freshman
Freshman year is the epitome of all things fun about college. After that year, you really need to buckle down and consider how you want your life to play out. I'm not saying you need to know your Five Year Plan on day one of sophomore year, but you start to realize how fast the years will go and how much time you've got left. Make sure you are making the most out of every single day so that when you look back on your college life in four years, you can smile back on all of your adventures instead of wondering "what if."