Why Political Correctness Is Inhibiting Your College Experience

Choose one: asking questions Or political correctness

111

College is supposed to be a place where students are able to speak their minds and share differing opinions in a comfortable, open environment. It used to be a place to learn what one had a passion for, and to figure out what one believed in versus what one does not believe in. However, the political correctness on college campuses is doing the exact opposite.

In the college classroom today, it has become about constantly having to watch what one says, or even to watch what one thinks, and it is inhibiting many students’ college educational experience. There are often times when students get offended quite easily. Many times professors will try to avoid talking about controversial topics to avoid these issues, but when that is not enough, students look elsewhere when their ideologies are questioned, instead of defending their opinions.

One place that students often look to is a safe space, however going to a safe space when ones opinions are being challenged is abuse of said safe space. College students, faculty, and society alike need to realize that there are many differing opinions in this world and that people are going to ask questions or make statements that they may not agree with and that not everyone has to feel the same about certain topics. However, looking to use a safe space when one hears something they disagree with is not creating adults prepared for the workforce.

A little insight as to why I was inspired to write this goes as follows: one-day last semester I raised my hand in a political science class to ask a question. It went something like, “Why is it when illegal immigrants have children in the United States, those children are considered citizens, and the illegal immigrants can no longer be deported?” My professor gave me an answer that was not satisfying. Basically, he said something to the effect of, “Well that’s how the constitution was written,” and then he tried to change the subject. No one in the class said a word to me, but their looks were enough. I felt everyone's eyes on me and then they all turned to whisper things to one another while my professor tried to change the subject. I felt unsettled. When it first happened, only one question crossed my mind, “What had I done wrong?” The only answer I could think of was “I asked a question.” The blunt person that I am, at a glance, didn’t see anything wrong with the question. Later, however, I understood that the way I had worded the question was poor. It was a loaded question and may have come across in a way I didn’t intend. Despite the phrasing, I still deserved an answer to my question. Instead, my professor allowed me to remain ignorant on the subject.

What I did not deserve was to be judged for asking. I realized later that the problem with my question was that it could have offended someone. My professor, instead of teaching, did not want to offend anyone either, so he avoided the topic. We cannot ask questions, discuss topics, or answer questions that may offend somebody, and that is why the higher education system is going to fail. What my professor should have done is answer the question and also explain a better way to have asked it. Without guidance, many students do not realize that their questions may come across as unprofessional, but how are students going to learn if no one wants to confront the issue head on? If students are not to ask questions other than those deemed politically correct, then how are they supposed to learn about the issues other people are concerned about regardless of the political correctness of those issues?

As a young college student who was raised to ask many questions (because that is how we learn) I was baffled by the response I received in class that day. It is okay to talk about abortion because that is a woman’s right. It does not matter if it offends someone who is Christian, or who believes that fetuses are people. It is okay to talk about people burning the American flag because that is their freedom of expression. It does not matter if it offends someone as an American or a soldier who has watched his brothers and sisters lay in a coffin underneath that flag. However, if a student asks a question that can potentially stir up controversy, it must be shut down at once. Of course, one cannot always just blame the professors. It comes from a higher place. It seems that as a whole society we are more comfortable avoiding certain topics rather than addressing them in a way that could possibly offend or cause questionable conversation.

College is supposed to be a place to have your beliefs challenged so you can become stronger in those beliefs. College was once a place to form your own ideology, but now it feels like students are being silenced when what they want is more information. Based on my experience it seems that students cannot even ask questions that do not involve a topic that is deemed politically correct by society. Keeping quiet about things one is interested in is not going to help anyone form their own beliefs about the subjects. Telling students what they can and cannot talk about in class is not going to raise adults who sound educated when talking about topics other than the ones that their professors and society saw fit for the classroom setting.

Variety in student opinions on college campuses is something that administration should strive for and support, not shut down. Eventually, these college students will grow into working adults, and in any field of work, there will be differing opinions that students need to be prepared for. That is what college is for, to prepare young adults for the real world. College professors must prepare college students for professional experiences and experiences that may question their opinions or beliefs. In order to do this, the stigma around political “incorrectness” must be broken. Typical college students are not out to get each other, to offend each other, or to hurt each other. Each one of us is trying to learn to the best of our abilities, to ask questions, and to gain understandings that will help us in careers and other professional settings in the future.