10 Ways Christmastime Is The Only Reason We Can Survive Finals

Thank God finals come at a time of year that's enjoyable, because otherwise, I think all of us would be goners by now.

87

Christmastime has always been my favorite time of year because it's just plain and simple a happy time. No matter how your family celebrates, you cannot deny that lights outside on all the houses and the Starbucks red cups put you in a better mood. I love me some Gingerbread Lattes, and not just because they're the star of Rainbow Rowell's masterpiece "Fangirl," although that doesn't hurt. Christmastime is just a cozy time, meant for festive movie nights with your friends and constant cups of tea or hot chocolate, because some people aren't tea people. This I will never understand, but hey. I'm trying.

So as I spend my finals season away at school, I thank my lucky stars that finals is during Christmastime, because I don't know how else we'd survive it.

1. Secret Santa

Always a fan favorite. My first real college family all pooled together and now there's a saving grace to the Saturday before finals: presents and procrastination. It's a beautiful thing, really.

2. Coffee Breaks

The aforementioned Starbucks red cups are a real mood booster when you've been trying to learn French pronunciation for the last two hours. And, a little stereotypical holiday cheer with the little reindeer cups never hurt anybody, as long as they put the cardboard sleeve on the cup. Don't burn yourself, people... although a Gingerbread Latte might be worth it.

3. Snow

I have no qualms about that fact that snow makes me act like a child. The first snow is always exciting, and now that I'm away, spending it with some friends that have never seen snow makes it that much better. Midwestern winter is a magical thing, so yes, we're going to build a snowman. Get on board people, at least it's a study break.

4. Pajama Parties

It's one in the morning and you better believe the lounge or common room is crowded and the place to be. Everybody's got something to be doing, but we're all dead tired and crabby, in pajamas while trying to finish that research paper we've known about all semester but hadn't started until 11 that night. You know the grind. So, common room pajama parties commence. The popcorn is popped, the ramen is made, and before you know it everyone is half laughing, half crying about how late they'll be up, but at least we all have our festive pajamas on. My neighbor bought us all matching nightgowns at Wal-Mart, and I must say, I feel better about my final paper when wearing a giant t-shirt that says, "What happens under the mistletoe, stays under the mistletoe." But maybe it's just me.

5. Decorations

You can't be sad about your finals when there's a Christmas tree in your room. Trust me, I've tried. Directly following Thanksgiving break, the decoration wars begin, and the neighbors try to out-festive you. Now, two weeks later, in the depths of dead week, the excessive amounts of colored lights and dollar ornaments are a much-needed distraction. Plus, walking around your dorm floor and seeing all of the different styles is a perfect way to avoid your studying. Sometimes those stockings can be the thing to save you from a mental breakdown.

6. Blankets

I don't think I've left my room without being wrapped in a blanket since Thanksgiving. And everyone seems to be on the same page, if we're being honest. Plus, wrapping yourself in a fuzzy Christmas blanket to write your paper or do your homework is just all around better than if you weren't warm and cozy. Plus, having festive blankets everywhere makes you feel a little less bad about not leaving your bed all day, and nobody wants to leave bed when finals have them feeling like they've lost the will to live.

7. Christmas Care Packages

Care packages themselves are fantastic, but getting the festive ones right before finals is an added magic. Opening a box from a friend or your family with hot cocoa mix and candy canes to distract you from the terror that is your final exam the next day is just the best feeling, and reminds you that there is more to life than these tests, even if it's hard to see that at the moment.

8. Christmas Music

Who doesn't love Michael Bublé at this time of year? Christmas music just makes everything happier and is the perfect background study music if I do say so myself. We all know all the words, so it's the perfect level of sing-along and no distractions for this stressful time of year.

9. Candles

Christmastime is the time of year that the RAs stop caring about candles being burned in the residence hall, because everything needs to smell like peppermint or pine tree. It just does. Scent is relaxing and helps you study, as well as spreading the spirit and covering other not so great dorm smells that we've all become so accustomed to over the past few months (looking at you, guys bathroom).

10. You're almost home for the holidays

Not only is the semester almost over, but it's a good time to go home and see the family when you're done. Break is more than just time to not be at school, it's a time of celebration with family and friends, what with the New Year right around the corner and Christmas coming up. It gives us that extra energy to get through finals week, no matter how hard it may be.