Time To Get Organized

Time To Get Organized

4

Now that you have survived syllabus week and are a few days into your new classes, it is time to get organized. Nothing stresses me out more than the feeling of having no idea what to expect in my new classes or even where to begin. You have gone over the syllabus for each class, but let's be honest, after the first class you are pretty much over hearing your professor read it verbatim. In order to have a successful semester it is important to be on top of things right from the start.

One thing you should definitely do is figure out your supplies. Which classes do you actually need the textbooks for? Every teacher lists at least three on the syllabus, but how many times have you bought text books just to watch them collect dust in your closet over the course of the semester. I also like to decide which classes I will need binders for, versus notebooks, for notes and papers. If you just keep everything in a random drawer, heaping stack or in your backpack you will never be able to find anything and it will turn into a big cluster of lost papers. If you have an organized system for each of your classes, it will be much easier when it comes time to study. 

Another great way to stay on top of things is to go through all of your syllabi and write important due dates in your planner or on your calendar. There is no way you will remember everything and it so much easier to look and see what you have going on for the day when it is written in one place. This also helps when planning ahead for tests. They won’t sneak up on you because you forgot to go back and check the date on your syllabus. I color code my planner so I know exactly what I have for each class every day. 

Lastly, it is always good to start the semester off in good graces with all of your TA’s and professors. We have all been told a million times: “introduce yourself to each of your professors the first day of class,.” But they are not going to remember you based on one introduction. Instead, go to office hours for tips on how to do well in the classes you are worried about, or to go over material you didn’t quite understand in class that week. It is always good to know some of your professors for when you need a recommendation letter or help later on.

I know you've heard this before, but it is always good to be reminded to start off the semester on the right foot. Before you know it, spring break will be here and, by then, it might be too late to get organized and save a bad grade.

Save yourself the misery and stress of feeling behind and out of control, from the get go, and you will have a great semester!