OSU Urban Dictionary

OSU Urban Dictionary

53
OSU Urban Dictionary

A lot of things change when you go to college, including the language you use. Some people pick up slang, some people adapt to profanities. Whichever it is, it can be said for just about everyone that both your every day lingo, and the meaning of pre-existing words, change as soon as you adapt to the college atmosphere.

For outsiders, these words remain an incredulous mystery. However, for us, it's more like our own little dialect that we adapt to and use without even realizing it. So, in honor of these outsiders, (i.e. the moms coming back for Mom's Weekend, the prospective freshman touring the school and trying their hardest not to stick out like an infant in a bar, and any other foreigners to our little town of Corvallis) here is some essential terminology to ensure the success of social interactions for everyone involved.

1. Frat Rat: A literal rat, captured within the house, probably being held hostage as a domestic animal within said frat.
  2. Chad: A generalization for 98% of the men on Greek Row. Synonym(s): pretty boy, tool.
  3. “Puke and Rally": A term frequently associated with partiers. Synonyms: perseverance, ambition.
  4. The Ette (or Supes): A mini market tailoring to all your munching pleasures, that has nothing even somewhat practical to every day life.
  5. Cheesy-Stuffed Burgers: A spring term phenomenon that actually determines whether you've lived or not.
  6. Western Wednesday. This term has 2 definitions:
    1. An imaginary world for students under 21. Only becomes a reality when drunken overage roommate needs a sober ride or falls through your window around 1 a.m. in an attempt to “make it home safe".
    2. A midweek line-dancing, karaoke, beer-drinking wonderland for those 21+.
  7. SafeRide: Corvallis's best kept secret that's really no secret at all. These beautiful souls will drive and save you from your drunkest of nights, and deliver you safely on your doorstep.
  8. MIP: This is the worst.
  9. Dutch (aka Dutch Bros.): A place solely filled with beautiful employees and subpar coffee. A continuous social scene.
  10. Dab (2 meanings): 1. A potent product of marijuana. 2. A person who, at that particular time and place, really isn't fun.
  11. Shasta-size: The period of time (1-2 months) where Dixon is overpopulated with procrastinating couch potatoes disguised as gym rats. This is the last minute scramble to look like an attractive human for a span of four days in May.
  12. Shasta: An alter universe where college students rule the world; where lake grunge (i.e. matted hair, unidentified scratches, and repeat outfits) is not only accepted, but actually encouraged. The worst, best weekend of your life.
  13. Day Fade: Typically, but not limited to, days when the sun actually shines in Corvallis and students awaken from their hibernation and partake in outdoor drinking festivities. Often includes a makeshift slip and slide.
  14. Shackers: The last of the last night's party-goers, typically trinkling back to where they came from in Friday night's best between the hours of 7 a.m.-10 a.m. on weekend mornings.