It's Not Easy Being Greek

Contrary to popular belief (and to the dismay of some people), Greek life is nothing like Animal House. 

We get judged (a lot). We get made fun of for wearing Sperrys because we live in the middle of Ohio and own zero boats. People assume the worst about Greek letters. I am now halfway through my collegiate Greek life, and I've seen the good, the bad, the true and the false. And with that, here is my take on being Greek:

Tiers are stupid and irrelevant. If there is one thing that annoys me more than people who walk too slow, it's this idea that tiers in Greek life actually matter in real life. When you're looking for a chapter to join, you're looking for your home away from home, not the home that everyone else wishes was their home. What's the point in that? Your chapter is not a means to gain some kind of imaginary social status. Also, being in Greek life does not make anyone better than the people who aren't. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. 

There are no sorority house pillow fights. Just in case you're the last person to realize that this isn't a thing... You're a thousand times more likely to find sorority women on campus at their five other organizations' meetings, at the library studying for exams, or at their internships working 10 hours per week on top of a full course load. Sorority women are too busy changing the world (see: Condoleezza Rice, an Alpha Chi Omega) to be fulfilling stereotyped fantasies. 

You will not be everyone's soul mate. You are not going to be best friends with all 150 people in your chapter. No one can have that many best friends, period. The fact of life is that there will always be people you won't click with, just like that coworker who is the epitome of your extensive pet peeve list. The important thing is that you treat everyone in your chapter (and outside of your chapter, for that matter) with respect. 

Your experience is what you make it. You will not gain anything by sitting back and relaxing until you graduate, so step out of your comfort zone and push your limits. Reach out to someone in your chapter whom you've never truly gotten to know, run for an executive board position, don't be afraid to befriend the Greeks who don't share your letters and embrace every moment, good or bad. You don't want to look back on your entire life and feel like you didn't make the most of it, so why would you do the same to your Greek life? 

People will judge you no matter what. You just have to accept it. The second you tell someone you're in Greek life, their minds are going to overflow with stereotypes and misconceptions. When you wear your letters, people will probably think that all you do is binge drink and have pillow fights in your underwear. If you can accept the fact that people generally have a negative impression about Greek life, then you'll be that much more prepared (and motivated) to prove why it's not like that at all.

You'll realize that the stereotype is the minority. While we mindlessly joke about that thing we did that was such a #TSM or #TFM, I think it's really important that everyone, Greek or not, realizes that it's a joke (as in, not true for the entirety of Greek life). It's a little upsetting that these kinds of sites are still fueling that bad rep. But between the misconceptions and salmon-colored shorts, for every person who perpetuates the stereotype, there are a hundred more Greeks who actually go on to be CEOs. 

You will hate it sometimes. This is an ugly truth. There will be times that are unnecessarily stressful, and there will be tension between chapter members, because that's just how life is. You'll dread going to chapter because the agenda is longer than you'd like it to be. Or, you'll dread going to chapter because you have three papers and a final that week, and the last thing you want to do is have any human contact. You'll quite possibly find yourself questioning whether Greek life is even worth your time and money. But before you decide that it isn't...

You will decide that you love it more than you don't. Just look at the people in your chapter. Do they inspire you? Are they making you a better person? If the answers are even remotely close to "yes," then stay. Last year, I poured my heart out to my pledge class about the things that have hurt me the most in my life, and I didn't once feel embarrassed or judged. That's why you stay. The women in my chapter inspire me every day, whether they're accepting job offers from across the globe or achieving 4.0 GPAs every semester. That's why you stay. More importantly, I've learned and grown more in the one year that I've been part of this chapter than I have in the previous 19 years of my life. And that is why you stay.

I'll admit that I had my fair share of opinions about Greek life before joining it. Everyone does. But for me, it's hard for me to believe the negative stereotypes when all of the most inspiring, passionate and selfless people I've met here at Ohio State happened to be wearing Greek letters. 

Being Greek is not easy, and that is an understatement. But I'll be the first to say that it's worth every second, every penny, every opportunity and every memory you create with your chapter. 

That's an understatement, too.