9 Things Marching Band Has Taught Me About Life

975
University of Notre Dame Marching Band

On the surface, marching band may seem like a simple source of entertainment for sports fans to keep them distracted during halftime. In reality, marching band goes much deeper than that, and its members wouldn’t trade the experience for anything else in the world. Let’s look at the life lessons I took away from being in marching band.

1. Getting Along

This may come as a surprise, but it takes a lot of cooperation to pull off something like this:

hilariousgifslol.tumblr.com

To accomplish awesome things like that, a great number of people need to work together to do it (and do it well). The crowds are the greatest critics, so each member must do his or her own part really well to achieve a cool show.

People from marching band understand the priceless value of cooperation and getting along because we’ve had to do it. A LOT.

2. Working Hard for the Big Picture

While a marching band show can last anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, there was a lot of prep work put into it for that literal “15 minutes of fame.” Marching bands, along with their directors and other staff, pour thousands of man-hours into a show. In many cases, it can take as much time as a job.

We learn that time and dedication pay off, and we accommodate a terrific work ethic that sticks with us for life.

reddit.com

3. Losing the Ego

When you’re part of a band that is over 100 people that are all dressed the exact same way, it’s easy to lose any ego or selfishness you have. No matter how hard the whole band works, it’s only as good as its weakest member. As a result, everyone builds each other up to be the best they can be. No one watches a band show and picks apart the individuals; they judge the band as a whole. So band members understand that a successful show is better than personal recognition.

Us band kids know how to lift each other up and focus on the band as a whole rather than how we look on an individual level. A lot of progress and forward movement can be made in life with this mindset.

juicy-bruce.tumblr.com

4. The Value of Success

Many high school bands and other groups, like DCI, take their shows on the road to compete. As we all know, winning is great. There’s nothing quite like hearing your band’s name called out as grand champions and later getting to take the obligatory selfie with the trophy.

It’s also great to share the success with all of your closest friends. You all get to celebrate a shared victory and, as a result, you lift each other up.

Learning how to act after a victory is a tough process, but band kids definitely have it down.

www.reddit.com

5. The Value of Failure

Accompanying the chance of victory is the even greater chance of defeat. Like success, failure is better to accept as a group. Even after all of the afternoons spent in the sun and even after all those hours riding on a school bus, losing happens. It’s a humbling experience, to say the least.

Just about the only thing life guarantees is failure. The band kids will always pick themselves up, dust of their clothes, and keep on truckin’. It’s all we know.

controlledbycutting.tumblr.com

6. Your Mom Will Always Be Your Biggest Fan

Sure, we all act embarrassed when our moms cheer obnoxiously loud for us or post about us WAY too much on their Facebook pages, but we secretly like it.

You can always count on mom to be at your football games or to have your favorite dinner ready for you at home after a long rehearsal. Without a doubt, moms are God’s greatest gift to the world.

Just like in band, your mom will be your own personal cheerleader for the rest of her days. Whether you get the big promotion or finally cut off that bad hairstyle she knew wouldn’t last, mom will be there to smile for her baby and give you an embarrassing kiss on the cheek.

7. Befriend the Weirdos

“Weirdos” may carry a negative tone, but, as a self-proclaimed weirdo, I say it with only love.

Coming from a large marching band with many types of people, I can say that the different, quirky folks were the best. After a tough loss or an extraordinarily hot rehearsal, it’s great to have the comic relief of the tuba player blasting out the McDonald’s theme song or a clarinet player pretending his or her instrument is some type of unicorn-like horn.

Befriend the weirdos. They have the most colorful personalities and they can make the most of a sometimes dull world.

cheezburger.com

8. Family

After spending countless rehearsals, bus rides, football games, and competitions together, you and the band will become one big family that loses, wins, laughs, and cries together. You all stick out from the other groups and you can trigger immense laughter with just one inside joke. If there is one thing I am most thankful for from my marching band, it’s the huge family I earned as a result. We would all do anything for each other and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

Former marching band members will understand the real gems in life: family and friends. They’ll keep them close.

maybeifiwasntgoingcommando.tumblr.com

9. Pursuing Your Passions

minionnation.tumblr.com