5 Resolutions for Fall Quarter

5 Resolutions for Fall Quarter

How to overcome last year's problems.

2
5 Resolutions for Fall Quarter

I’m not typically one for extreme resolutions, but I am a believer that small positive changes can turn into habits that end up making our lives much, much better. Co

I’m not trying to get all philosophical on you guys, but there are little changes that can improve your life. The first step? Making some resolutions for the upcoming school quarter.

1. Keep a daily planner.

I know this might sound like a cliche to those who are picturing the standard image of the uptight sorority girl who has a planner and keeps every aspect of her life (and her friend’s lives) managed to a tee. A standard planner will really do more good in your life than bad though. Don’t waste time and brainpower trying desperately to remember what you have to do for your French assignment that night.

By writing everything down in a planner, you can clearly see how your school work, extracurricular activities and social life overlap. If you have a formal the same night that a huge paper is due, you know you can’t wait until that night to start and finish the paper. For the people who say “technology only,” Google calendar can be set up and accessed anywhere.

2. Commit to health and fitness.

I’ve promised this to myself over and over again with many variations. Saying I’ll workout every day, or that I’ll work out 5 days every week sometimes proves counterproductive. Once I miss a day, it’s like automatic permission to just completely give up on my fitness goals for the week. That’s not the type of workout schedule I’m challenging us all to commit to for fall quarter.

Instead of setting up a number of times per week to work out or how many hours, try starting with a simple statement of purpose. Something like “I will find more opportunities to take the stairs daily,” or “I want to jog as much as possible.” Small changes can work up to lifestyle habits and they’ll leave you feeling better about yourself.

3. Go out of your way to talk to someone new.

Another lifestyle rut that we can all get into is hiding within our own circle once we’re comfortable there. Although it’s definitely important to have your own tight knit group of friends who will always have your back, freshman year shouldn’t be the only designated year for meeting a ton of people. Don’t be a loner in all of your classes. I’m telling you it’s not worth it. Who doesn’t want a guaranteed study buddy for that final?

Get to know the people around you in statistics class. Talk to the editor for the school paper you’ve been on all quarter. The truth is in college there are people around us essentially ALL the time. Of course it’s impossible to become best friends with everyone you meet, but having a nice conversation with someone you’ve never spoken to before might surprise you. Plus those communication skills will become extremely valuable later on post-graduation.

4. Try to make it to lectures (and do the readings).

I know that just reading this one inspires a cringe from most of you who haven’t even dreamt of touching (or buying) a textbook. But hear me out. Although it’s corny, I think in the midst of stressing out over grades and GPA’s, we often forget how fortunate we are to be receiving a college education in the U.S.

Not only are we already in a small percentage of the general population, but if you’re studying something you actually LIKE (which I think we all should) then you’re even luckier. Making the excuse that you’re too exhausted or you’ll catch up later is only going to pile up into a mountainous quarter’s worth of curriculum that will cave on you come time for finals. Find a way to get excited about learning new things again. Sometimes the reading is actually pretty interesting...sometimes. And if anything, doing the work when you’re supposed throughout the quarter to will actually save yourself some stress in the long-run.

5. Find your happy place (or create it).

Whether it’s creating zen in your room, or finding that one cafe in town that isn’t always flooded with people, it’s important to have a place to go to when you are stressed out and need an environment that encourages happy thoughts. We often forget that college is more or less home for most of the year. And it’s important to have a place while you’re at school that feels comfortable and peaceful. Pencil this into your planner and make it happen because it’s pretty important.

If you don’t know where to begin, think of what makes you feel most relaxed when you’re actually at home and on vacation. If it’s music, make sure you have awesome headphones and playlists for an extra pick-me-up when you need it. If it’s your super comfy bed, set up your dorm room with the softest throw pillows, blankets and so on so that you can cuddle...with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s.

These are just a few small habits that could greatly impact your life, not just over fall quarter but for the rest of college and beyond. Heading back to school brings with it an exciting feeling of renewability and a subtle fresh start. Take advantage of that and resolve to grow with each new start that you get.