17 Things Every Former Scene Queen Remembers (And Immensely Regrets)

2009 was a rough time for everyone, okay?

639
layoutspark.com

Everyone has a time in their life that no matter what, they'll never live down. I am no exception to those awkward teen years. If you knew me at 15 years old, let me just flat out apologize right here and now. Yes, this little ol' blonde haired, blue eyed, Lilly Pulitzer wearing, Texas born and raised girl was the QUEEN of scene queens. If you don't believe me that's fine, just know that I have included two pictures of myself from the height of my hardcore days. I'm certain that when looking back on my past indiscretions all my ex-dark souled sisters can agree with me in saying, "What the literal hell?" If you're a former scene star, please stand and remove your hats for a moment of silence as we remember the embarrassment that was 2009.

1. Hairspray was your life.

If you didn't use a can a week, your hair was so not scene. But you'd never admit to how much hairspray you used or how long it took you to backcomb all that hot mess.

2. While we're on the topic of hair, layers and bangs for days.

Those layers better have been cut with a razor and starting at your eyebrows, and your bangs needed to be so swoopy people actually questioned if you actually had two eyes or if your hair was a clever way to disguise a horrible disfigurement. Trust me, I rocked that scene mullet, I feel everyone's pain.

3. If your hair didn't have at least one unnatural color in it what were you even doing?

Were you even scene? Do you even know what HXC means? I doubt it. Ugh, poser. Let's not forgot those GOD AWFUL raccoon tail dye jobs. Yes, I had one. It was bright turquoise. Seriously, look at that thing. I have a little, alright a lot, of shame.

4. Studded belts.

No one really knows why, but you all had one. You get extra hardcore points if you wore it with the buckle facing sideways.

5. Kellin Quinn.

Literal heart eyes.

6. Black nails, black soul, black parade.

No exceptions.

7.You spent hours on creating your perfect scene name.

Finally you settled on something like xXSarahSchizophreniaXx or Forever the Sickest Sarah because you know, there's literally nothing more HXC than alliteration or putting your name in a band (both of these were me, I really am so sorry).

8. Hot Topic was your Mecca.

Band shirts and plastic jewelry and Disney, oh my! Your life revolved around loitering at the mall and gawking at the newest ADTR shirt in the front window of your safe haven and flirting with the hottie with the eyeliner that worked there. (Shout out to you, Erik. 15-year-old Sarah loved you.)

9. If you and your boyfriend couldn't share skinny jeans, you weren't*really*dating.

Clearly, nothing hotter than a dude with a shotgun haircut and some drainpipes.

10. "Fer Sure" by The Medic Droid

Pretty sure this one is self-explanatory.

11. EYELINER. SO MUCH EYELINER.

Sure, put all that eyeliner and black eye shadow on up to your brow bone. Don't worry about blending or shading. Your ultimate goal here is to look like a raccoon; I mean your hair already looks like a tail, why stop now? Okay, but really Mom, you let me go in public like that. Thanks a lot.

12. Overly edited pictures.

Really they should have called us photoshop queens, but they go hand in hand. Filter on filter, contrast and brightness turned up to enhance your hair or something like that, saturate your eye color, and don't forget to watermark your username so people know you're not a catfish. Instant. Scene.

13. You wanted to be Haley Williams.

If you say you didn't, you're a damn liar. As I promised my friends, here's another horribly angsty shot of me at 15 somehow combining the previous list items: a desire to be Queen Haley and an overly edited angular selfie. Much scene. Please don't hold this against me, I'm really cool now I swear.

14. You said the heinous phrase "rawr means ily in dinosaur" and have hated yourself every day since because of it.

It's okay, no one's perfect. Except Haley Williams.

15. <3 Less than three.

Okay but let's talk about this for a hot second. You less than three'd everyone. You knew your relationship was getting serious if they less than three'd you. You knew you were best friends if you less than three'd them. Less than three is the end all be all.

16. Hello Kitty, bats, diamonds, bows, Skelanimals, etc.

The perfect combination of accessories to show that you were cute but hardcore and that no one should mess with you.

17. If you were a real scene queen, you better have crowned yourself with a plastic tiara in at least 25 percent of your Myspace pictures to prove it.

No tiara? No title.

Thanks to a drastic change in outer appearance, and thank the good Lord, a maturation of emotional responses, most of our sceneie weenie days are nothing more than a fond memory to us now. However, no matter how much time passes and no matter what happens, you know that your soul is still as hardcore as Gerard Way is pale, and you will always defend pop punk.