Tis' The Season For Food: 12 Mouth-Watering Foods For The Holidays

Cakes and pastries to ease your troubled mind.

53

The time has passed for the carving of the Turkey. That delicious stuffing has been stuffed down our throats and chased with an extra helping of mashed potatoes and gravy. However, the time for good food and company is not over. Christmas is on its way and with it are the gifts, amazing people, and, most importantly, food! Without further ado, here is a list of some of my favorite desserts of the season, including some that I could eat daily.

1. Red Velvet Cake

What better cake is there to eat at Christmas? The cake beams in red and shouts Christmas spirit. Add some vanilla icing and your day has been made.

2. Granny Smith Apple Cake

Everyone has some nice fresh apples from the fall harvest, so why not bake them in a cake? It sounds great to me. Apples are delicious by themselves, yet if you put them in a cake then you will never go back.

3. German Chocolate Cake

There is nothing like fresh coconut shavings on a cake, topped with German Chocolate. You must eat and then eat again because you will never get enough of this cake.

4. Coconut Squares

I could eat Almond Joys daily, but once someone makes some coconut squares with cream cheese I’ll eat all day long. These little pastries are what makes the world go round.

5. Peanut Butter Cookies

I feel sorry for folks with peanut allergies because they are really missing out. Peanut Butter can be put on just about anything--Vanilla Wafers, Oreos, PB&J’s, etc. So it is to no surprise that we decided to put Peanut Butter in cookies. They're just down right scrumptious.

6. Brownies

Whoever invented the brownie was a genius. Most of us college students can eat a whole damn pan. I know that I can. They are the perfect balance between chocolate and cake.

7. Apple Brownies

To make brownies even better, let’s put some apples in them. These are obviously not your traditional brownie, but I can guarantee that you will love them just the same. Apples are one of the best fruits to move from healthy to unhealthy in a single heartbeat.

8. Mint Brownies

Yes, Yes, and Yes!!! It’s Christmas time and, therefore, mint is in the air. Why not put it in a brownie? Take the traditional brownies and add some freshness. Not to mention that, if you go on a date, then there is no chewing gum required after the meal. Who doesn’t like mint brownies?

9. Lemon Blossoms

The perfect balance between sweet and tangy, lemon blossoms will add some zest to your holiday. Just like brownies, these never last long. They are the first out of the oven and the first to be demolished.

10. Old Fashion Chocolate Fudge Cake

This cake will knock your socks off with its sweetness. The old chocolate fudge icing spread over a yellow cake makes the mouth water. Although, be careful, one giant piece can land you in a sugar coma.

11. Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Ask my friends, these little no-bake cookies are to die for! They never last long and are the best way to eat oatmeal the unhealthy way.

12. Cream Cheese Pound Cake

It's the master of all deserts! It's my all-time favorite cake! It is not too sweet and is just right with or without icing. If you prefer icing then you must use homemade buttercream icing! You cannot beat a nice moist and fluffy cake with a little crust on the top. It is part of your destiny.

I have had the pleasure of eating all of these deserts. My grandma used to have her own little restaurant in which she cooked pastries. I was a fat little kid for good reason. If you have not tried any of the desserts on the list, I encourage you to. Once you try them then they will soon become a family tradition to be enjoyed at special occasions. The store-brand cakes and pastries cannot touch the homemade. Each of these deserts deserve to be cooked to perfection, served with love, and eaten in good company.