A Swan Song For Everyone Who Wasn't The American Idol

Remembering the most beloved, worst contestants throughout the years.

123
Talknerdywithus.com

For the last 15 years, "American Idol" has brought millions of singers straight to our living rooms, all claiming to be the best in the country. Many of these contestants left a mark on pop culture, some made it to Ryan Seacrest's Top 40 Countdown. Almost all of the contestants whose auditions I re-watch and show to friends, aren't any of these people. They're the people who sang horribly. I'm pretty sure that "American Idol" ratings tripled during audition week. I know I loved the awful singers as much as the amazing ones. While the good singers have their remembrance every time their song is played on the radio, this article remembers the worst of the worst.

1. Mary Roach

Mary Roach's audition in season four has been viewed over 25 million times on YouTube. Her dance moves while she's singing are terrible, but her objection to the judges opinions is what really makes her audition dreadful. Mary spends a solid two minutes making rebuttals to the judges before finally leaving and then blowing up. She reminds me slightly of another Mary — Mary Catherine Gallagher.

2. Larry Platt

General Larry Platt went into his Idol audition to sing a satire about kids in 2010 sagging their pants. But this season nine contestant ended up going viral as a meme, pop culture reference, and an iTunes song (which also was remixed).

3. William Hung

William Hung was one of the first "bad" American Idol auditions to go viral. With his giant smile, thick accent, stylish outfit and killer dance moves, it's easy to see why he became a pop culture reference back in the third season of the show. He has gone on to record three albums since. Not bad for someone who didn't make it past the initial audition.

4. Renaldo Lapuz

Season seven brought us Renaldo Lapuz, Simon's biggest fan and brother (not really). He shocked us all with his genuine love of Simon Cowell and his original song. The song is called "We're Brothers Forever" and is dedicated to Simon. How such a nice guy picks Simon Cowell as a role model is beyond me. But his song is pretty catchy -- in fact, Paula and Randy get into it with him as well.

5. Brian Krause

I have so many questions for Season nine's Brian Krause. Is Tiny Tim really your favorite artist? Why would you sing this song for a singing competition? The original isn't even good. Doesn't that song sound like something from a horror movie to you?

P.S. I looked it up and the song is used in more than one horror movie...

6. Julie (Isadora) Furman

Julie? Isadora? Whatever her name is, season six gave us a weird one. The noises she makes while singing sound awkwardly sexual, not sexy. I love the fact that she used her bracelet collection and clogs to keep time and provide a percussive aspect. That's not something seen often on "American Idol" (until they let contestants bring instruments in with them). It wasn't good, but she gets a few participation points for incorporating her outfit into her routine.

7. Trista Giese

Season six also gave us Trista Giese. Also known as Chewbacca and the Cowardly Lion. Trista recently released a YouTube video saying that this was a dare. Regardless, she made it to see Simon, Paula and Randy. And she sang the Cowardly Lion song for them ... this girl is great at the lion/Chewbacca noise. It was kind of frightening.

8. James Lewis

James Lewis brought an interesting element to season seven's auditions in Philadelphia. The contestant looks like Colonel Mustard for starters. But I think this is the lowest I've ever heard a person sing. In my entire life. James sings so low that you can barely understand what he's saying.

Many stars have come off the "American Idol" stage. But let's be real, our favorites were always the worst contestants! Never forget.