8 Reasons Everyone Should Attend MTU's Winter Carnival

Even as a Wildcat, I suggest you enter Husky territory for this annual celebration of all things snow!

144
N. Holbrook

As a Northern Michigan University Wildcat, I need to preface this article with the standard "Tech still sucks." But for the fourth year in a row, I found myself headed to our rival school, Michigan Technological University in Houghton, for the annual Winter Carnival. MTU isn't all awful. I do have to say that going to this weekend long event has been a notable part of my college experience every year. The Winter Carnival is something that I always look forward to and recommend that everyone experiences at least once. Although I can't possibly capture the whole experience, here are a few of the reasons why you need to attend Winter Carnival.

1. Broomball

Seeing as I was born in Florida, I had zero idea what broomball was before visiting Michigan Tech. The best way I can describe it is similar to amateur hockey. Except it is played with regular shoes, not skates, a broom instead of a stick, and a ball as opposed to a puck. The game is popular is Canada and some Nordic countries, like Sweden and Finland. And at Michigan Tech.

2. Mu Beta Psi Scholarship Concert

Being a Brother of NMU's chapter of Mu Beta Psi and a musician myself may make me a little biased in saying this is one of the best parts of Carni. But the scholarship concert is always a good show for a great cause! The duo of MTU professors, Mike and Mike, have many years of musical experience between them. And I personally love AstroSax, a multitude of all saxophone music. The money raised from admission and donations goes to an outstanding non-Brother musician at MTU.

3. Skiing

Mont Ripley is my favorite of the two ski hills I've been to. I'm not an avid skier, so I can't really speak for the runs. However, the views are priceless. You can see straight across the Portage Canal from the top and it is a gorgeous sight. I mean, ski runs are ski runs, and I assume they're usually pretty similar. But the view from the top of Ripley is what makes it my favorite place to ski.

4. Hockey

Hockey is more than just a game at Michigan Tech. Mixing engineers and sports may not seem like it would turn out that great, but I do have to admit that their hockey team is on a streak. For the past few years, the MTU hockey team has been pretty great. They can also boast that they've sent multiple players to play hockey professionally in the NHL and minor leagues, including this year's NHL All-Star Game MVP, John Scott.

5. Snowball

The Snowball is a formal dance with a live big band, and again I think I'm a little biased by being a musician. But how cool is it to say that you danced to live big band music? Most kids these days can't say that! Maybe it's just because I'm a music nerd that I appreciate it. But the Snowball is a fun event to get gussied up and go pretend that you know how to dance! Or you can watch MTU's Swing Club dance while listening to the jazz band. No matter what you do there, it's a unique environment!

6. KBC

These three letters may not mean much to people outside the Upper Peninsula or the state of Michigan, but those who know the KBC love it. The Keweenaw Brewing Company is located on the main stretch of downtown Houghton. For those who aren't 21 or just don't like beer, they brew their own root beer and craft soda. I'm still working on acquiring a taste for beer (I've only been 21 for a year now). Despite this fact, the KBC is one of my favorite environments to be in. It's a chill place filled with friendly people. I love the couches located by the fireplace, and they provide the perfect view of the Hancock side of the canal. Sitting in there in the winter makes you feel like you're inside a beautiful snow globe.

7. All-Nighter

The all-nighter is any Tech student's favorite part of Carni! On Wednesday night, everyone tries to stay warm outside and the overnight statue competition ensues. It's like a magic trick to watch all the groups on campus putting the final touches on their sculptures. The hardest part is staying warm. If you're the kind of person who likes raves, they always set up speakers and a DJ booth in the snow. It gets super packed while people jump around to try and keep themselves from hypothermia. I'm not the rave kind of person, but it was interesting to watch it happen from the outside. The hype of the all-nighter is what really makes it fun, along with the interactive statues.

8. Snow Sculptures

I left the best for last of course, the snow sculptures! This is the main event of the Winter Carnival. There are many competitive divisions and lots of tricks to get these done. Some groups spend an entire month on their sculptures: perfecting the tiny details, making a colorful jello or wax caption and ironing the outside to set the shape with a thin layer of ice. Other groups race to build their sculptures overnight! The competition is always intense. And the sculptures last for a while afterwards. But the best is seeing them right away so that there's not a layer of snow and nobody has stomped all over them yet.

Even though I'm an NMU student, I've been to every Winter Carnival in my college years. And it's always a different experience. If it wasn't something worth checking out, then I wouldn't have come back and more importantly, alumni wouldn't be coming back 30 years later. Winter Carnival is the most fun way to celebrate the snow and make the best of the 15 feet of snowfall, the annual Houghton average. Winter Carnival is guaranteed fun for everyone of all ages. But as an NMU student, I must end by saying that Tech still sucks.