Making The Right Choice

Making The Right Choice

Why Niagara University is perfect for you.

11
Making The Right Choice

As the summer progresses, the class of 2019 is brought closer and closer to the inevitable: New Student Orientation, August 28-30. Though if any of those students are like I was, they are relishing the time before they have to leave for a weekend full of icebreakers and structured “fun.”

If I'm being honest, I never wanted to go to Niagara. In fact, I cried when I made the decision. I had been accepted into my dream school and couldn't imagine going anywhere else. I was in love with the school spirit, the big student population, the city atmosphere, etc., etc. So why did I give up living in a beautiful city for a small town that nobody has ever heard of ? Money. I did it for the money. It might sound shallow, but to come out of school with no loans is a relief and a blessing that not many people get the chance to receive. So I made this decision to please my parents and friends who said I would regret not acting on this opportunity, but for the next three months I hated all of them. I thought I had made a terrible mistake. I was terrified I would get to school and despise where I was. I believed the students would be stuck up and mean, and that I would never fit in. Orientation made me cringe as we were forced into activities that made me feel like I was back in high school. Although I met some amazing people, I still wasn't convinced it was the place for me. For the rest of the summer I dreaded the day I'd have to leave my friends and family for a prison six and a half hours from my home. So why am I telling you this? I want to show you all the reasons why I was wrong.

Small schools aren't so bad.
I thought a big school was the best option for me, but really I would have drowned in all the people. Niagara is very small, but I meet new people all the time. You feel pretty good about yourself when you know people everywhere you go.

You don't have to be Catholic at a Catholic school.
Going to Niagara does not require that you be Catholic. People aren't going to rub their religion in your face or judge you if you don't go to Church. Niagara University is very tolerant of all religions and does not accept students based on their religious preference. Although we say an occasional prayer at events, Niagara dwells less on the fact that it's a Catholic University and more on its Vincentian values. Those values are anchored in service to the community -- primarily the less fortunate.

We do have parties.
I believed that since the school was so small, there would never be any opportunities for students to gather and socialize on the weekends. I was wrong, and this goes for pretty much any school you go to: there are parties everywhere. There will be parties, but don't make your decision based upon parties. Every school has them and they will be fun at pretty much any -- and all -- schools you go to. Besides, if parties are your main priority, it's cheaper to crash college parties than to go to a school just so that you can party (not that I advocate this). Pro Tip: Parties are more fun when you've suffered through a week of classes.

There are things to do.
I thought there would be nothing to do at this school since it's in such a small area, but there is so much to do. First of all, it's located not even 10 minutes from beautiful Niagara Falls. If you don't like the New York side, pack your passport and cross over to the Canadian side. You can also go to various parks, restaurants, movie theaters, concerts, stores, and more, all located in the city of Niagara Falls. The university shuttle can take you most places you need to go. If you're looking for adventure, Buffalo is a measly 30 minute drive leading to endless possibilities of fun.

The thing about our campus is that you aren't smothered by a city or events, but you can find them if you want. If you don't want to leave campus, the school always has something planned that you can attend as well. The theater department offers year-round performances. There are sports events going on all the time, so go to one! The athletes appreciate it more than you know. NU's Campus Programming Board also works hard to get comedians and musicians to come on the weekends to entertain. Make sure you explore what the school has to offer.

We have School Spirit.
I didn't know what to expect for school spirit. I knew state schools had tons, but I expected that since Niagara was so small, there would be less. There is, in fact, school spirit, though like religion, it isn't in your face. You see it at the games you go to. Our students cheer each other on and support each other in a way that makes you proud to be a Purple Eagle. This is especially apparent at games against our rival, Canisius.

It's not difficult to make friends.
I was so worried about the people at school and the campus size that I thought I wasn't going to make any friends. The first week I felt like I didn't belong and wouldn't have anyone except my roommate to call a friend. Everything fell into place, though, and I met some of the most genuine, fun, and cool people. It takes time, but you will find your person, I guarantee it. I haven't seen or met one person on this campus who doesn't have a friend or someone to hang out with. Just be yourself -- as cheesy as it sounds -- and don't try so hard. That's when you'll find your best friends.

You are prepared for the rigor of academics.
I was afraid of the transition from high school to college and I didn't know what to expect for classes at a small school. The classes are very small with the exception of some gen eds (philosophy and history) and classes in popular major fields like biology and chemistry. You aren't just a face in a sea of people. Some teachers will deduct from your grade if you miss class; they notice. However, you will find that the more classes you attend, the better off you are. I have found that my exams are straightforward and if you attend class you will do fine. Furthermore, with such small classes you really get to know your teachers and classmates. Unlike big schools, you are more than a number, and you will find it a lot easier to get help if you need it. You will have to go to office hours, find tutors, and ask for help. Niagara doesn't have mind readers -- yet.

The food is not half bad.
Like any incoming freshman, I was not looking forward to college food. But when I got to school, I realized that the food wasn't so bad. There are vegan/vegetarian options, a salad bar, an international station, a grill station, and a sandwich bar. The food is pretty tasty and there is a variety to chose from. If you get tired of Clet, you can head over to Gally and pick from a variety of fast food areas including Time Hortons. Watch out for those 1600 calorie drinks -- they help you achieve your goal of the freshman 15 without any difficulty. There are tons of off-campus options in Lewiston or Niagara Falls as well. I recommend Mighty Taco. Although I often miss Wawa (a Pennsylvania treasure), Mighty Taco is a good substitute.

There are opportunities at this school.
I was nervous to come to Niagara because I thought it wouldn't be helpful in connecting me with any jobs. This proved wrong because there are various study abroad opportunities, internships, and job connections through this school. There are job fairs, presentations on how to connect with careers, etc. I frequently get emails with opportunities to intern, meet employers, and submit work. I'm an English major -- if I can find opportunities with my major, anyone can.

Now, while others are grasping to hold on to their time left before they leave for school, I await eagerly to return. My freshman year has given me so many amazing friends and memories that I am beyond grateful to have. For those of you worried about entering the class of 2019, know that the small class size will make you feel less small. The classes are not too difficult and the campus is easy to navigate. The teachers and staff are friendly and will give you the time of day. People are proud to go here and support others. The food is delicious if you aren't too picky and there is so much to do if you are looking for an adventure. You will meet people and find your place, but you have to be patient and give it time. Two weeks is a good amount of time to wait before deciding it isn't the place for you. Remember, it's all about the attitude you take with you. All summer and up to my first week at Niagara I thought I made a terrible mistake. Thank you, Niagara University, for proving me wrong.