A Guide To Tailgating

A Guide To Tailgating

When tailgating, tailgate correctly.

47
A Guide To Tailgating
fanstailgate.com

This week and weekend mark the start of NCAA football, or as others call it, the best time of the year. While people this week will be ordering their pounds of meat for the grill, grabbing the cheapest case they can find and dusting off the couch in the garage to throw in the tailgate, I wanted to sit down and help out the tailgating community. The hours before the game is a crucial time. It is a make or break period, so here is how one should handle it:

Pace yourself.
Yes, we all love getting up at 6:00 a.m and to start chugging, but you also do not want to be left behind because you passed out in the tailgate. If you tailgate right, you will have at least five hours to do what you have to do before the game. You can either become belligerent or maintain a coherent mentality at a tailgate. Do not be that person stumbling over everyone and everything, you will look like a fool.

Be mindful.
There are many things going on at once during a tailgate and anything can happen. Police officers are on the prowl during this time, so pee in a urinal each time and put a koozie on that can. You do not want to be walking away in cuffs when your friends are walking towards the stadium.

Eat a lot.
It is going to be a very long day, so fuel up. Take that much-needed trip to Bojangles before the game and make sure your group is roasting a pig or grilling up burgers. Tailgating on an empty stomach can lead to many disasters.

Dress correctly.
Be it your first tailgate or tenth, dress right. Meaning, wear the hell out of your school colors. You are hours until cheering and yelling for your school, so show you care. There is no excuse to “accidentally” be wearing your rival team’s colors. Go all out, it is worth it.

Pick the right tunes.
Tailgate tunes are essential and are usually the deciding factor if people come around to hang at your tent. Yes, country is good tailgating music, but mix it up with the classic 90's hip-hop, the surprise 2000 one-hit wonders, and the old classics from the 70's and 80's. You will know if your group is playing the right stuff because then there will not be a dull moment.

Have an adult.
No, not an actual adult, but someone who will be in charge. Having a friend who is sober all day and making sure nothing catches on fire will help out in the long run. Get a person who talks well with other people in case of altercations and someone who can deal with any kind of personality. They will be the MVPs of the day.

Make it in.
Missing a game can be the worse. You could miss a SportsCenter Top 10 play from your school or a comeback win in the 4th quarter. Especially against high seeded teams and close rival games, make sure you get your ticket scanned and are able to cheer from the bleachers.

Be safe.
All in all, tailgates are a hell of a time. Some of your best college memories and stories can come from tailgates. With that being said, be safe while doing so. Stick to your limits and stick with your friends. You hear too many stories of things turning for the worse at football games, do not make yourself the person involved with that.

Wake up. Eat. Drink. Tailgate. That's a recipe for a great time!