13 Things You Totally Have In Common With Your College Roomie

When you break it down, you're essentially the same.

13
Demi Demetriades

When it comes to college roommates, there are plenty of different habits and personalities one may encounter. There is the classic, randomly-assigned roommate, the best friend you thought this could work out with, and the mortal enemy. In spite of those differences, though, there is still a small wicker basket full of qualities you and your roommate definitely still have in common.

1. You live together.

This may be obvious, but it is an important similarity that does not go without saying. At the end of the day, your stuff is in the same 10x10 box as this other person.

2. You attend the same college.

Obviously the two of you had similar taste at some point. Even if the fine establishment you attend was not one of your top picks, you both decided it was good enough to invest thousands of dollars and potentially risk life-altering debt on.

3. You are in the same geographic location.

This one may appear to be the same as attending the same college, but it is so much more than that. You are in the same neighborhood of the same town in the same state of the same country in the same continent of the same planet in the same galaxy of the same universe. Those different factors essentially break down to there being a local grocery store you both know exists.

4. You have matching furniture.

If you are in a college dorm room with college-issued furniture, there is a 99 percent chance you both have an adjustable-height-extra-long twin bed, desk, chair, and clothing-storage unit. If you live off campus, I can almost guarantee you both have a floor.

5. You both take classes.

College is known for having classes, and is a very common reason for people to attend it. Chances are, you and your roommate have attended at least one class at some point during the time you have lived together.

6. You both sleep.

Although college is not known for the surplus of hours that students sleep, everyone has to do it at some point. When you close your eyes at night to go off to sleepy land, you can think about how you and your roommate have so much in common: that your roommate experiences this necessary function, as well.

7. You both have a brain.

If there is one organ you without a doubt will require in college, it is a brain. Know that whether or not it is clearly in use, your roommate also has a brain, amongst many other organs you may or may not have in common.

8. You both need to take in nutrients.

When you're brooding over how your roommate forgot to lock the dorm door, you can take a second to remember: Your roommate's body also functions best when it can process necessary vitamins and minerals, as well as complex carbohydrates and proteins.

9. You both excrete waste.

Going off of point No. 8, after the body has processed its intake, it must get rid off all the leftover stuff. Whether it's coming in solid or liquid form, you and your roommate both eliminate unnecessary matter from your bodies.

10. You require oxygen.

You both need to breathe. This is essential to both being a roommate and having a roommate.

11. You were both conceived.

The circumstances and means of the conception may be different, but at one point, you both were just fertilized eggs that had become attached to the uterine lining. So maybe your origins are more alike than you think.

12. You were both born.

After No. 11, you had to enter the post-womb world somehow. Feeling lost for conversation? Maybe you can strike up a conversation about your births.

13. You will both eventually die.

You will not need to keep up with No. 10 forever. Eventually the Grim Reaper will come for you both and carry you away in his cold, bony embrace.