When Bad Things Happen To Good People

When Bad Things Happen To Good People

Last month, the world lost two of the best people I've ever known.

81
When Bad Things Happen To Good People

You can look at the world in one of two ways. Although sometimes, under certain circumstances, the line becomes so blurry we lose ourselves in what we believe is right and what we think is wrong.  

We either live in a world that is fair and just, or we live in realm filled with corruption and desolation. The first idea is less depressing. This belief that our world is suffused with a zest for life, passion for adventure and an untainted happiness allows us to maintain the notion that if you are a good person down to your core, karma will grant you with a package deal filled with fortune and a wonderful life. 

But, how realistic is untainted happiness? With the second belief, this forces the impression that the world is veiled by grief, despair and wrongs that fail to be justified. Obviously this way of thinking is a tad melodramatic and way too morbid, but sometimes you can't help but think it, especially when bad things happen to good people.    

As human beings, we are born in one day. We succeed in one day, fail in one day, fall in love in one day, have our hearts broken in one day, laugh in one day, cry in one day and ultimately die in one day. Anything and everything can happen in a mere 24 hours that can either throw our world off its tilt, defy gravity or keep it beautifully spinning. No one wants to believe that planet earth is a literal death trap that pressures us to work our whole lives for something that can be taken away in 1,440 minutes. So, that begs the question, when bad things happen to good people, how great can this world truly be? How can everything be said to “happen for a reason”?    

Tragedy is a weird concept. It compels you to question your faith. It is a driving force of grief and heartache. It makes you wonder, “what’s the point?”   

It’s been almost a month since both of my very best friends were tragically killed in a car accident. In less than 30 of those days described above, this world has been begrudgingly forced to live without two brilliant, beautiful souls that once roamed this earth. Their presence is so deeply missed with each and every day that they have been gone. It hasn’t gotten easier, it’s gotten bearable. The void they have left in many of our hearts seems like it will never fill back up, that there will forever be a hole that cannot be fixed until we see them once again.  

Ordinary actions of everyday life seem so trivial. What shoes to wear on Friday night, whether we won the basketball game on Saturday or even daily gossip seem so unimportant. When bad things happen to good people, life seems so unfair.  

But then, even on our lowest, saddest days, we are strained to realize something. We are here. We are graced with another 24 hours that others wrongfully do not have in their hourglass of life. We have the opportunity to live by them, dream because of them, remember the good they have left in this world filled with adversity. 

I will never understand why God has taken two human beings too soon; I will never comprehend how something so horrible could happen to two of the best people I will ever know. But, because of them, because of whomever you may have lost, we are pushed to keep living.    

There are 7.125 billion people in this world. Out of every person I have ever encountered or befriended, I have been blessed with the memories of these two incredible women that I will carry in my heart always. Almost everyone has someone that they miss dearly, and many have unfortunately experienced loss at cataclysmic levels such as this. 

But remember, we are the lucky ones to have been their friends or family. And by that, we may never understand why things like tragedy and heartache occur, but we can find comfort that we were endowed with the opportunity to be with them.   

When bad things happen to good people, it makes us contemplate the world we live in. But, with time, love and support by the ones that we love, we will get through this. Not because we have to, but because our angels will be with us every step of the way.