20 Things I Learned My First Month of College

47

The trials and tribulations of a freshman.

1. Anyone will sleep with you. Pretty straight forward, it's college. After a few drinks, everyone wants the same thing. One of my high school teachers told me this a few days before graduation, and she was right. That cute senior who seems really into you, don’t be fooled. Freshmen are easy targets for getting tricked into sleeping with someone, simply because he asks about your major before he tries to get into your pants. There is no shortage of hormonal guys around here. If you want it, you’ll get it.

2. Your roommate does not have to be your best friend. If you are like me, and luck out with getting an awesome random roommate, then kudos to you. Most of the time, that is not the case. Yes, you have to live with them for the semester, but that does not mean they have to be your BFF. Being civil with someone who will let you in when you forget your room key at Late Night Rollins, will do.       

3. You actually have to study. I know you slid by in high school, getting top by simply coming to school, raising your hand and reading a book or two. College is a slap in the face for people like me, who never had to study for tests to do well. Professors will throw six months of high school content at you within two weeks and then test you on all the details you swear they never even went over. Figure out your favorite study spot on campus because flunking out of college is not an option.      

4. It's okay to stay in on the weekends. I promise -- if you decide to stay in, watch Netflix and eat Pringles, you will not regret it. Especially on Saturday night, after a football game when you have eight hours of homework for Sunday. Everyone needs a night off, once in a while. Your body will thank you.

5. You walk everywhere. To class, to parties, to the grocery store and in my case, two miles to the closest Walgreens. Soon enough, a 20-minute walk will seem like a breeze and you will have the blisters on your feet to prove it. Invest in a good pair of running shoes, wear them to class and any other time you’re in a social situation that it seems appropriate. Save the cute sandals and killer heels for the weekend.     

6. You are completely responsible for yourself. Having independence is so freeing, but when you realize that no one is going to wake you up, make you work out, feed you, bug you to do your homework or go to bed on time, you have to grow up and be responsible. I don’t think I have completely grasped how much I depended on my parents for simple things. Holding yourself accountable to your actions, mistakes or responsibilities needs to be on the top of your to-do list.       

7. Call your mom, a lot. If you’re like me, and your mom is your best friend, this shouldn’t be an issue. But for the boys, and girls who think they are too cool to call their mom frequently, figure it out. Moms are superheroes of the world. If she spent 18 years raising you, she deserves phone calls that will make her smile. Be a man, call your mom.    

8. Sororities will either make you or break you. I made the decision to go Greek, which was one of the best things I have done since being here. Greek life isn’t for everyone. It is a huge time commitment, and a lot of added stress in an already stressful time, but it is incredibly rewarding. I love having over 350 sisters I can go to when I am having a bad day. However, the extra hours you have to put into it will be overwhelming and nearly impossible, at times.    

9. Time management needs to be a quickly learned skill. With a busy schedule, that may or may not include Greek life, a weekly planner is a necessity. You can’t waste your time sleeping in until noon, and then complain halfway through the week you don’t have time for anything. Be proactive. Write out your weekly schedule, find your free time and decide how you are going to use it. Saturday is for football, Sunday is for homework and the rest of the week is your call.  

10. No one cares who you were in high school. My high school is eight hours away from where I decided to go to college, so I don’t have to deal with the drama of anyone I knew in high school. However, most of the people I meet here are from the same area. Their high schools played each other in football and they think it still matters in college -- it doesn’t. Unless someone asks, don’t go around shouting how cool or uncool you were in your glory days. Close the yearbook.    

11. Long distance relationships and friendships are difficult. I am not in a long distance relationship, but I have seen the toll that college takes on couples that decide try to stay together, but go to different colleges. It is possible, but moreover it can be an emotional roller coaster of dumb fights, Skype sessions and jealousy. As for friendships, keep in touch with your friends from back home, but don’t dwell on the fact that you can’t see them all the time. When winter break comes around, take it in. On the flip side, you don’t have to talk to someone every day to still be friends with them. They are busy with college life. too.   

12. Keep your social media clean. This is for your future and your own good. When you are looking for jobs, employers will look at your Twitter, Facebook, maybe even Instagram to see if you are as good of a person as your resume says. Everyone knows you go out and drink on the weekends, so posting pictures with the hashtag #ThirstyThursday just makes you look stupid. Also, it would not be a bad idea to spend a little time and make yourself a LinkedIn.com profile. Even if your only connections are your parents and high school teachers, it helps grow a professional network of people with the same interests as you. As for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other social networking sites, keep it classy and clean. You’ll thank me later.     

13. Keep yourself clean. Equally important, keep yourself clean. It is crazy how easily people drop personal hygiene when they come to college, suddenly thinking they don’t have to brush their teeth or shower frequently. Don’t be that person who comes to class smelling like tequila and pizza. This also includes doing laundry. Boys, if you don’t want to do laundry, tell the girl on your floor you will give her a bottle of wine if she does it for you; works every time.    

14. Make friends with your RA. There is going to be a point in time that you need your RA to do you a favor, pull some strings or forget about something. Use the first month of college to make them love you, and honestly, they want to be chill with you, too. If you buddy up to them, maybe they will cut you some slack and won’t write you up for the night your roommate puked in the hall and you got blamed for it. 

15. Sit towards the front of the class. Sitting in the back is one thing when you’re going through freshmen orientation, but when you see all the hungover boys sit in the back, you might change your mind. Do yourself a favor and just sit in the front half of the class. You focus better, you’ll do better on tests and your life will be better. Learn this lesson sooner than later.    

16. Please, go to class. Probably one of the most important things I have quickly learned. Do not make skipping class a habit, especially the early ones. You may be able to get the notes from someone else, but unless you’re on your deathbed or in jail, you should be in class. Even if you are hungover, tired, sick, whatever it may be, drag yourself to class, pay attention and don’t let yourself slip into thinking you don’t have to be there. This is the easiest way to flunk out and have your parents realize they are paying for you to party, not study.      

17. Never walk home alone. This holds true for every college campus in the nation, no matter how safe you think your school is. Unfortunately, there will always be bad people looking to do bad things. Sexual assaults are becoming more common every day. The scary statistic that one in five people will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime, is becoming a reality. Most campuses have safe walk. or safe ride programs. if you are alone and need to get home, but that is not always the preferred way. Stay in groups and watch out for each other.

18. Boys still suck. Frat boys are a whole new breed that I was not exposed to until I came here. It doesn’t get any simpler, and boys still aren’t men until they realize hookup culture is not what they should be doing -- in my opinion. They still mess with your head, lead you on, maybe even break your heart. Don’t take it personally; for all you know he could be doing it to five other girls. Actually, take it personally. Say screw you and move on. You’re beautiful, you can do better. Just because he gives you a shack shirt, doesn’t mean he actually likes you.     

19. Being a little mean is better than getting taken advantage of. Self-respect will always be important, at any age. I know you may think you can’t say no to the creepy dude who is trying to touch your boobs or the guy you have drunkenly made out with, who suddenly wants more; just say no. He may be pissed at you, but you will be happy when you are not in a situation that you knew could be avoided if you had just said, "not tonight." Be that girl and stand up for yourself.   

20. College is awesome. I will leave it at that.