8 People You Should Say “Bye Felicia” To

2237

Maybe you have never said it, but I am sure you have heard it. “Bye, Felicia,” has been trending for a while, now. Initially used as a phrase in the 1995 film Friday, its sudden popularity is somewhat unexplainable. According to Urban Dictionary, the phrase is supposed to dismiss anyone annoying or irrelevant.

I have not heard anyone use this catchphrase outside of a joking manner, but if we all thought hard about it we could easily identify the people in our lives that need to hear it. Whether you believe it or not, the people you surround yourself with do have an influence on your life. There are some people we hang out with who make us feel not good enough, yet we still go back for more. These are the types of toxic people we all need to be saying, “Bye, Felicia,” to.      

The “cut down” friend. This is the friend who tells you to wear the dress that makes you look fat by convincing you it is the most flattering option. They only post bad pictures of you on social media, and they are the first to tell that cute guy at the bar offering to buy you a drink, “She’s already thrown up tonight, she doesn’t need one.” 

This is the ultimate “frenemy,” and someone you desperately need to let go of. They may be a lot of fun, but they suck overall as a person. Signs of this person are constant jealousy and insecurity. Stop hanging out with them unless you want to spend your days being constantly cut down and feeling incredibly worthless because that is the superpower this person possesses. Bye, Felicia.

The “it’s all about me” friend. They call you from Tigerland sobbing at 2 a.m., begging for a ride. They never go the class you signed up for together, yet they always get your notes and somehow make 10 points higher than you on the exam. They only ever text you “SOS” and “Need you ASAP” and “crisis omg crisis,” needing advice on an outfit or picking a formal date. 

But when it comes to you and your problems, they are nowhere to be found. Whenever you need advice, the subject seems to always shift back to their needs and issues, and their phone is always mysteriously dead when you call with your own personal “SOS.” Newsflash: this person does not give a damn about you. #byeFelicia.      

The competitive friend.  How many formals did you get asked to? What grade did you get on that paper? How many miles did you get in on the elliptical? Every conversation with this person is a comparison. This is a very unhealthy relationship in your life, one that most likely puts you on edge and leaves you very unhappy. 

Real friendship is not about trying to outdo each other; it is about being happy for each other’s successes and supportive during each other’s failures. If your friend seems to be secretly rooting for your downfall, it’s time to say, "Bye, Felicia."

That one ex. It is casual girls' night out drinking and five glasses of wine later you find yourself aggressively texting that one former flame you may have never gotten over, or maybe the one where there wasn’t a clear ending; they just never texted you again so you convinced yourself they died, even though you see their Facebook status updates daily. You always remember this ex flame’s number after those shots of tequila, don’t you? 

The morning after regret of texting your ex is not worth it. The past is the past for a reason, so bye, Felicia.

The forever “second chance.” This is that one person you find yourself constantly making excuses for. You defend them and their inconsiderate actions to your friends all the time, and you do so because you have completely fallen for the web of false promises they have spun. 

This is the person you want to date, but always seems to “not be ready” or “not in a good place.” News flash: this person will never be ready for you. Indecision is a decision on its own. Do not let the babbling fool you; do you really want to be weighed as an option? No, you do not. Bye, Felicia.   

The booty call you don’t actually like. Are you even still attracted to this person? You were once, but now it seems like a dragged out 3 a.m. routine. And you are benefitting in absolutely no way, shape, or form. There are already too many mediocre compromises in life, and hooking up should not be one of them. Delete this kid’s number ASAP and say bye, Felicia for good. 

The “I only need you when I’m single” friend. We all know this girl. She is attached to your hip until she finds her next prey boyfriend -- isn’t it weird she has had like seven real relationships by the end of her freshman year of college? This is someone who is incredibly clingy, cannot be alone and will take up all of your time and attention before replacing you with her next boy toy. Say bye to this person fast. This girl has seriously never heard the great Leslie Knope mantra of “ovaries before brovaries.” You know what to do.     

The “bad influence” friend. There are different degrees of toxicity to this friendship. It is good to have a little bad influence in your life, and it is normal for friends to sometimes convince you to go out rather than study for that quiz tomorrow. However, most of us can admit to knowing one person who is just plain bad news. 

Everything this person wants to do leaves you in serious trouble. This person will most likely be in and out of rehab, dropping out of college next semester, and doing infomercials for cash, soon. If you do not want to suffer the same fate, it is time to say, “Bye, Felicia," to this destructive friendship.

You clearly are not a priority to these people, so stop letting them be a priority in your life. When you let people walk all over you, they take advantage of you. There is nothing romantic about giving everyone what they need, but getting nothing in return. If it makes you feel dismissed, abused or desperate, it is toxic and it always will be. You have to take care of yourself. 

And while you do not have to literally scream, “Bye, Felicia,” at these people -- although kudos to you if you do -- it is time to end your destructive relationships with them. There is growth to be found in letting go. There is satisfaction to be found in walking away from negativity. There is ultimately happiness to be found in putting yourself first. 

You are not a human doormat. You are a very capable person. It is time to only surround yourself with people who raise you up.