Gun Control: We Need To Stop Avoiding It

And what we can do to change it.

12

You see it in the news every day -- someone brings a gun to school and holds kids hostage, ride by's, flat out murder by weapon. Most recently we have seen the Virginia-based news anchor and her camera man be shot in cold blood. I hold this issue near and dear to my heart, not only because Virginia is my home; but I hate having my father, a police officer, come home from work and hearing what new horror story he had to work that day. More often than not, fatalities of gun crimes. These stories of human lives being taken that have become so common, some don't even make the local news.

According to politifact.com, since the year 1968 there have been more firearm-related fatalities in the United States alone than the amount of fatalities of all the American wars fought. According to their data, from the Revolutionary War up to the Iraqi War there have been a total of 1,396,733 deaths. From 1968 (only 47 years) until this year, there have been 1,516,863 deaths from firearms.

The misuse of guns as well as other weapons in this country is becoming a societal norm-we are no longer stunned when we see murders on the news. Something has to change. However, sadly, it seems as though the government isn't doing anything to reduce these murders and injuries.

In the state of Virginia, and many other states, there is no law requiring a license to carry. As long as you are 18 years old (for long arms) and 21 years old (for pistols), and a citizen of the United States, you can purchase a gun on any given day. This includes people who have mental illnesses including schizophrenia, extreme anxiety, and Asperger's syndrome. This is not to say that people with any of these mental illnesses should not be considered equal to those without, or even shouldn't be allowed to purchase a weapon. It becomes a problem when people who have severe cases of mental illness or disease that quickly become extremely angry. People in these situations that do not take appropriate medicine and therapies to assist their illness and keep the extreme symptoms to a minimum should not be allowed to have a fire arm or any other weapon.

The fact that our country does not do any type of background check for the purchases of guns as well as other weapons for that matter baffles me. It is extremely easy to sell a gun to someone who is suicidal or has murderous thoughts. In my personal opinion, citizens who wish to purchase firearms should be required to meet with a psychiatric specialist who will determine if they see that person fit enough to own a fire arm. This of course will not stop weapons being sold illegally, but it will decrease the chances of so many mass murders, suicides, and injuries. We as a country should not feel unsafe to go to common places such as a movie theater, mall, even a school. People who are interested in buying a gun should also know safety procedures and how to handle it completely. If it is such a hassle for someone to have to be evaluated to buy a gun for the safety of fellow American's, they should not be buying a gun. We need to stand as a community and have the American Government realize that these tragedies at home can be prevented more.

Please visit www.everytown.org to learn more about stopping gun violence.