11 Reasons to Go Greek in the SEC

11 Reasons to Go Greek in the SEC

336
11 Reasons to Go Greek in the SEC

Going to college in the Southeastern Conference definitely has its benefits. Not only are we dominant in football and basketball, but we also defined the term “tailgate.”  We consistently rank in having the most beautiful girls on our campuses, have TFM posts dedicated to our sororities’ Tumblrs, and everything is bigger below the Mason-Dixon line. What more could you want out of your college experience?  Greek life in the SEC is arguably the best in the nation. I asked my fellow SEC and Greek members why that is, and here’s how they answered.

1. University of Alabama:    "The University of Alabama has one of the strongest Greek communities in the SEC. Not only is it a great social scene, but an opportunity to make an impact in  our community. Although we may wear different letters, when a crisis arises, we are able to come together to achieve our goal. I am proud to be a part of a group of college kids who care so much and work so hard to better the lives of people around  them." –Kaitlyn, Alpha Gamma Delta

2. University of Arkansas:   "Although I thought becoming a Razorback would be the best decision I have ever made, going into my junior year of college, I can officially say that joining Greek  Life was one of the best decisions of my college career. At first, I believed Greek Life to be just a social club, but not only have I grown a great brotherhood with my  brothers of ΣΑΕ, I have also grown strong relationships with men and women from fraternities and sororities across campus. Greek Life at the University of Arkansas  is truly a community, built to represent strong leadership skills, strong academics, and a positive collegiate experience to all Greek students at the U of A. Go Greek and Woo Pig Sooie!" -Will, Sigma Alpha Epsilon 

3. Auburn University:   "When I decided on attending Auburn University, I hardly knew anyone at Auburn.  No one from my high school decided to go to college there. I knew going through sorority recruitment would be an awesome opportunity to make friends and find a home away from home. I quickly realized how loving and supportive all sororities and fraternities are to one another at Auburn, which made it incredibly easy to meet people and make friends. Being in a sorority has taught me to go outside my comfort zone and get involved with the entire Auburn community. I would have never had the courage to try out for different organizations or get involved here on campus without the encouragement of Phi Mu or my other Greek friends. I can say joining a sorority is one of the best choices I've made while at Auburn!" -Ellie, Phi Mu 

4. University of Kentucky:   "Coming from Chicago, I never thought that I would fall in love with the SEC so much. Greek life here isn't just organizations, it's a community that supports each other to excel academically and socially...and who doesn't love a good southern tailgate?" –Malia, Alpha Delta Pi 

5. Louisiana State University:   “SEC Greek Life is incredibly special and anyone who is lucky enough to be part of it will tell you there's nothing quite like it. Not only is there a special bond between members of each individual chapter, but there is a closeness between every chapter on campus, which I find unique to the SEC. Whether you're hosting an event to raise money for philanthropy or cheering on the Tigers on a Saturday night in Death Valley, the entire Greek system is behind you 100%, full of support, enthusiasm, and school spirit. Maybe it's just the way Southerners are raised, but I have found that no matter what, we look out for each other and are connected through Greek  tradition." -Sarah, Kappa Alpha Theta 

6. University of Mississippi:   "Greek life at Ole Miss has not only improved my college experience, but it has truly  created a bond among my sisters that will last a lifetime. Going to a SEC school has been the best decision of my life because of the long lasting tradition and environment I get to live in. Ole Miss is truly the best school!" - Margaret, Tri Delta 

7. Mississippi State University:   "I think Southern hospitality and class really drives the Greek life at SEC schools. As an incoming freshman, I remember how wide-eyed I was about the whole college experience. I really didn't break that mindset until I rushed - I was forced to talk to people, make friends, and sell myself to the fraternities who I really enjoyed being around. I believe that fraternities are more than just party spots due to the way I act  within my fraternity. Being on executive council and having a constant authoritative influence on my chapter really helps myself and my fellow brothers control the direction we're trying to go. With the Southern class and style, everything between fraternities and sororities just opens up, creating a friendly atmosphere for all. Plus,  football is just better down South! The SEC isn't just an acronym. And it's not just a culture. The SEC is a way of life and a thriving culture. Hail State!" -Alex, Pi Kappa Phi 

8. University of Missouri:  “Whenever I came to Mizzou freshman year, I didn't know any girls that went there.  I also didn't know much about the Greek system overall, because none of the women in my family were Greek. However, I could tell after the first day of rush that it was going to be an amazing experience. I became fast friends with so many girls, and it didn't even matter which house we joined. In retrospect, I really can't imagine what my college years would have been like if I hadn't been in a sorority. Even though my sisters and I come from all different parts of the country, I know that we have a sort of bond that can't really be described with words." -Carson, Delta Gamma 

9. University of South Carolina:   "Joining Greek life at University of South Carolina has been a life changing  experience. I now benefit from an unbreakable support system and also limitless possibilities to excel in the future. As a sophomore, I’m greeted with many older sorority sisters offering advice as well as networks of internships that they have had experience with. Greek life has provided me with so many opportunities I have  never thought possible. Everyday I am thankful to have chosen such a high spirited school with an equally united Greek life." Cate, Chi Omega 

10. University of Tennessee:   "There is nothing better than those Saturday mornings where you wake up and  tailgate with not just your best friends, but your brothers. Then charge into Neyland Stadium with another 100,000 people and cheer on a team playing the highest quality Division 1 football. Chanting "Go Vols!" on every fall Saturday with my  brothers has been the greatest time of my life." Blue, Phi Delta Theta 

11. Vanderbilt University:   "When you’re in a constant academic rat race, there's no better break from the  competition and chaos than the family you selected. We often times forget just how lucky we are to have each other until we step back and think about where we would be without. Tears would be shed without someone to wipe them, studying would occur without snacks and the occasional laugh, football would just be another boring sport, and most of us wouldn't even know when the Derby is without Derby Days. However, through bonds with strangers, mundane or upsetting moments become beautiful." -Victoria, Kappa Kappa Gamma