The Do's and Don'ts Of Studying Abroad

The Do's and Don'ts Of Studying Abroad

1021
The Do's and Don'ts Of Studying Abroad

Your time abroad will be some of the best experiences and memories of your life. It is your time to be independent and to travel and see the world.

Older friends, who have already been abroad, will send you lists of dozens of restaurants and clubs you HAVE to go to in each of your destination cities, but no one ever really tells you that with all the excitement of new cities and experiences it is easy to make mistakes. You will most likely miss a train or two, stay in a not so good hostel, and call your parents asking for more money.

After my summer abroad I thought it was only fair to share my list of the do’s and don'ts of studying abroad:

Do travel and explore every chance you get. Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity that allows you to discover new places and cultures around the world. You’ll make new friends, create unforgettable memories and learn more things about yourself if you step out of your comfort zone and explore.

Don’t uphold the loud, arrogant, always drunk stereotype of Americans while abroad. Europeans definitely have their party culture and drinking is a big part of their everyday life, but there is a difference between a few glasses of wine at dinner and a few too many shots at the bar. Make sure you research and understand the drinking norms before downing one too many.

Do plan your travel plans ahead of time. Waiting till the last minute will only leave you with more expensive and fewer options. Once you find a solid group to travel with try to plan out the rest of your travel time, it will be easier and less costly (and you won’t end up staying in some creepy hostel).

Don’t be skeptical about hostels, a lot of times in Europe hostels are nicer and cheaper than hotels, and friendlier to college students. Some hostels even plan pub crawls or tours for you. No matter where you stay make sure to read reviews.

Do keep a journal or a blog. You’ll want to remember your time abroad forever, and looking back at pictures with no back story to go with won’t cut it. Even if you only write a little bit each day you won’t regret it.

Don’t be afraid to try new things and meet new people. You will be amazed at how generous Europeans can be if you to talk to them and try to learn and understand their culture. Try their food and drinks, it is the only time you will get the real thing. You may not know what you are biting into, but you won’t know if you love it unless you try.

Do pack practically. Your gym shoes will be your best friend. Research the weather, cultural trends, and nightlife attire. As Americans we already stick out like sore thumbs, so try to blend in and follow cultural norms. This means, leave all the oversized srat tees at home or for sleeping. Also leave room for clothes, gifts, or souvenirs you may buy.

Tip: if you’re going to Italy buy a scarf, also bring conditioner and face wash. Most hostels/hotels in Europe don’t have conditioner, everything else they’ll have for you.

Don’t let anything negative ruin your time abroad. If you get on the wrong train, go explore a new city. If you stay in a gross hostel, spend as little time possible inside. If the people you are with are bringing you down, go off on your own for a little. At the end of the day, you are on a once in a lifetime trip. Nothing and no one should ruin any second of your time abroad.