What is a Brain Orgasm and How Can You Have One?

Let's explore the magical phenomenon known as ASMR.

4976
Feelgoodhacks.com

Why is it that some sounds are extremely satisfying to hear? The sounds that are pleasant to us vary depending on the person; however, some examples may be the sound of pages turning, gentle rainfall, or even someone with a tender voice. These types of sounds, as well as many others, may induce a tingling sensation in the brain or back. This feeling can range from a light, relaxing response all the way to the most intense sensations, sometimes called "brain orgasms."

So how exactly is this feeling defined? The universally agreed upon term for the pleasurable tingling induced by (typically) visual/auditory stimulus is ASMR. ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Many people have experienced feelings of ASMR but were unaware of what their body was actually feeling. It is a relatively new term, being popularized by YouTubers who dedicate their entire channel to making ASMR videos to trigger the tingling sensation in their viewers. There is a wide variety of sounds that trigger ASMR and everyone has their own unique noises that set off theirs. There is a large variety of sounds that people seem to commonly experience relaxation and ASMR from, though. These include, but are not limited to: Tapping, scratching, crinkling, whispering and chewing.

There hasn't been much scientific research into what is going on in the brain when ASMR is being experienced. On the topic, Tom Stafford, a psychology professor at the University of Sheffield states,

"It might well be a real thing, but it's inherently difficult to research. The inner experience is the point of a lot of psychological investigation, but when you've got something like this that you can't see or feel, and it doesn't happen for everyone, it falls into a blind spot. It's like synaesthesia – for years it was a myth, then in the 1990s people came up with a reliable way of measuring it."

As mentioned in the quote, it appears that not everyone can experience ASMR. Even for the people that have experienced it, such as myself, it doesn't always occur and the sounds that trigger you may be vastly different from someone else's. Even if the sounds that you're listening to may not trigger you, many find that they are still very relaxing to listen to. This relaxation also possesses health benefits as well! According to Psychiatrist Michael Yasinski,

"[ASMR] is similar to mediation as individuals, through focus and relaxation, may shut down parts of the brain responsible for stress and anxiety."

Being as there isn't too much known about ASMR, it's time to try it for yourself! Don't get discouraged if you don't get the pleasurable tingles at first. You may need to find a different variety of sounds or you may not be able to experience it. Even if you cannot experience it, you will still find ASMR videos very tranquil and relaxing.

Here are some videos I find have given me tingles and are very relaxing. They are high quality and made by some of my favorite ASMRtists. For the best experience, you shouldwear headphones!