My political identity

How I Found My Political Identity During the Trump Presidency

Our political identities are an important part of who we are as people, and I think it's a crucial time for young US citizens to realize that, and take action for our futures.

799
Kassidy McDonald

Before that fateful day in November 2016 that resulted in a "President Trump," I was not as interested in politics as I am today. I remember sitting in front of the television with my two younger sisters and my mom, whom all have similar liberal political views as me, and our hearts sank as the election results became a reality. Why, all of a sudden, was this so important to me? I never really cared that much about what was happening in politics on a national scale until this moment; why do I now so clearly know my political identity? Growing up in a very small suburban community in Massachusetts, I was exposed to a lot of different (and strong) opinions about politics. This caused a lot of different aspects of my life to affect my political identity. I went to high school with three different towns, where I was able to view all ends of the demographic, economic and political spectrum. After the Stoneman Douglas shooting, there was an assembly my senior year where students debated if there should be a school wide walk-out to show support for the victims of the recent shooting. Some kids spoke up and wanted to support those who lost their lives. They wanted to walk out to prove something needed to be done so we could be safe at school.

On the other hand, there were kids who did not support the walk-out and expressed support for the NRA and what the organization stands for. My views on gun control were shaped when my younger cousin was in the Sandy Hook school shooting in December of 2013. It became apparent to me that my peers in high school had very different opinions on how the country should be run, and this distinction was very black and white. It was almost as if Trump's presidency gave people with views that are not typically mentioned, specifically those with racist ideas and strong supporters of the second amendment, a way to feel comfortable voicing them.

I saw firsthand how politics can divide people, specifically in my own family; let's just say not every family member made it to Thanksgiving dinner in 2016. It seemed that Trump created more division than any other political contest in my memory, and it seemed impossible to not take sides. The Access Hollywood tapes and Trump's history of treatment of women caused many of the women in my life to have complete disdain for Trump. I have grown up with a strong female presence in my life. I look up to women like my mom, and my two aunts. All three of them have opened my eyes as to how important it is, especially during the Trump presidency, to form your own opinions. Your particular views on political issues allows you to voice your own opinion and take a stand for what you believe is right. These women have also taught me to not let your voice be silenced. This past March, my mom, my aunt, my sisters, and a group of my friends all joined me in in attending a gun control rally in Boston. This event inspired me and made me realize how much good can come out of people coming together for a cause. I was also extremely happy to see so many young people like me and my sisters in attendance at the rally, as it gives me hope for our generation. This solidified for me how important it is to stand up for what you believe in in order to make a difference. Trump's presidency has made me more concerned about not only the future of this country, but how his policies, his judicial appointments and his toxic messages will affect me. His comments about immigrants, minorities, people with disabilities, and women have caused people to question his character.

With all of this in mind, I began thinking about how politics affects MY life specifically after he was elected. I support gun control because I have family in Sandy Hook Connecticut, where 26 people lost their lives. I have also become increasingly concerned with women's rights. How would overturning Roe affect the women around me who I know and love? How will the gender wage gap affect me after college as I begin looking for a job? As I start school at a university far from home, how will sexual violence on campuses affect my peers and I? Will there be recourse for women who report sexual violence if it didn't stop Trump from being elected? These are questions I ask myself all too often, but isn't it time for young people to ask themselves the same kind of things? What issues in this country impact your life? The decisions that are being made today are long lasting, and as a generation, we should become more aware of politics in order for us to have a say in shaping our futures.