NBA Summer League: Where It All Starts

NBA Summer League: Where It All Starts

All of the players involved are like diamonds in the rough. You might think your team has come across a goldmine and landed a valuable commodity.

5
NBA Summer League: Where It All Starts

Today marks day three of the NBA Summer League, which lasts from July 4 to 10 (Orlando), July 6 to 9 (Salt Lake City), and July 10 to 20 (Las Vegas). So, for those basketball lovers who went into a mental state of depression, it has returned. For some like myself, a three-week hiatus might have seen like an eternity. I dread the day when the basketball season is over, once the NBA Finals is complete.

Well, it's music to my ears and sights for sore eyes to me and other basketball enthusiasts to witness basketball in July. But, the summer league still receives slack from viewers. Ironically, mainly for the mere fact that the talent level is significantly lower as opposed to a professional regular season game. Kevin Durant, LeBron James, and Steph Curry aren't playing in a summer league exhibition. It is very troublesome and difficult to manage as an aficionado of basketball. Unfortunately, all of these NBA stars were once apart of the summer league earlier in the career. And as a witness to the game, you are spectating future stars in the making. You may not appreciate it at the time because you are only seeing spurts of their true talent and unbeknownst fortes. How would know if you are truly looking at a star if you don't open your eyes? And most stars take at least two to three years to develop before you really see them blossom in the NBA.

So if you honestly want to thoroughly examine your favorite team's latest draft picks and prospects that are on the bench don't look any further than the National Basketball Association's annual Summer League.

The most important reason for the summer league's existence is to monitor each player's individual progression. Whether it is a minor improvement or none at all. NBA coaches, scouts, and executives, even current players examine the new young stars in the making. It's an opportunity for the young players to be on notice. They should be advancing in their stage of development and adding additional moves to their repertoire.

As a fan, you can recognize their strengths and weaknesses or what I like to call "what could be improved on." And seldom, a player's weakness can be transformed into one of their strengths. It's a fine showing of one's hustle, perseverance and competitiveness to get better.

The Orlando Summer League is comprised of 10 teams; Las Vegas has 23 teams; and Salt Lake City has four teams.

Orlando (July 4-10)

Brooklyn Nets

Charlotte Hornets

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Memphis Grizzlies

Miami Heat

Oklahoma City Thunder

Orlando Blue

Orlando White

Utah (July 6-9)

Boston Celtics

Philadelphia 76ers

San Antonio Spurs

Utah Jazz

Las Vegas (July 10-20)

Atlanta Hawks

Boston Celtics

Brooklyn Nets

Chicago Bulls

Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas Mavericks

Denver Nuggets

Golden State Warriors

Houston Rockets

Los Angeles Lakers

Miami Heat

Milwaukee Bucks

Minnesota Timberwolves

NBA D-League Select Team

New Orleans Pelicans

New York Knicks

Philadelphia 76ers

Phoenix Suns

Portland Trailblazers

Sacramento Kings

San Antonio Spurs

Toronto Raptors

Utah Jazz vsWashington Wizards

All of these players are like diamonds in the rough. You might think your team has come across a goldmine and landed a valuable commodity.

Whether you are high first-round pick, a late first rounder, an early second rounder or un drafted pick. Or if you are currently on an NBA roster as a thriving prospect or benchwarmer trying to save face, you have an opportunity to show your talent in the NBA Summer League.

The NBA Summer League's system of conducting points increases the intensity of every matchup. The team that wins the quarter is awarded one point. So, instead of a team being declared victorious at the end of the game, you are asked to win each respective quarter. No matter what the score is (that is irrelevant) you exert all the energy you can muster each second.

In most games, especially in blowout victories, the competitiveness drops and the will to keep playing ardently wavers. So, in order to eliminate that notion from the conversation altogether, the point system pays dividends. It also helps weigh out the pros and cons for each player's particular assessment for the team if it's a healthy regiment.

So, if you're a Knicks fan, check out the number four draft pick, Kristaps Porzingis and see what all the hoopla is about. You have a chance to answer the questions you may have regarding his talents. It may not be suffice, but you at least have an idea of what he is capable of. No matter what he does, he won't please everybody. But what Kristaps can do is show a tidbit of what he has to offer before the regular season starts in late October.

If you need clarity on players like Jahlil Okafor, D'Angelo Russell or Justise Winslow, the NBA Summer League is expected to alleviate those inquires. Be sure to check your local listings for team schedules on NBA TV.