BiRDPERSON Wants To Be Your Friend

BiRDPERSON Wants To Be Your Friend

Part one in the Statesboro local artist spotlight series.

9
BiRDPERSON Wants To Be Your Friend
Noah Prince

Growing up in my moderately small town, there weren’t a lot places for oddballs, outcasts and the odd men out to hang around and feel welcome. There was one place I recall fondly though- a musty, old, small theater in a shopping complex re-imagined as a venue for local bands. It was nothing extravagant; it was actually quite the opposite, but it was where me and so many other “weird” kids who has been cast aside spent so much of their teen years.

Everything about the place was at least a little off the mark of being “normal,” flattened and destroyed instruments were hung up on the walls, the snack bar menu consisted of nothing but grilled cheeses and Ramen for the most part, and even the owner was unusual in the best possible way. He tended to the troubled and lonely youth in a way I didn’t fully appreciate until that venue was taken away from us. When he would serve food, the only payment he ever required was to sing him a tune. It was small and dark and all sorts of strange, but it had a feeling of community I was unable to find again, that is until I met BiRDPERSON.

I came upon these fellows sort of by chance. I had a mutual friend and through a long shot asked him if they’d be interested in doing an interview. Well, they were and so we did. I didn’t take me long after meeting the guys to learn that they were the kind of people who seek to be friends, not foes. I was welcomed into their home, clearly that of a few musicians, and felt comfortable and completely welcome. I’d like to now tell you about the things I learned about BiRDPERSON, their music, and their hearts.

The BiRDs. From left to right: Anthony, Wheeler, Aaron, and Trey.

BiRDPERSON is an indie/alternative band based in Statesboro, Georgia. It consists of four agreeable, friendly dudes, Aaron the lead singer and guitarist, Wheeler on the drums, Trey on guitar and Anthony on bass. The guys all met through school, all brothers of the GSU music fraternity Phi Mu Alpha. They formed BiRDPERSON in early 2015, and since they have played about a dozen private and public shows and have become a favorite to many of the Statesboro locals. BiRDPERSON has a deep appreciation for their fans, and during my interview, Aaron had this to say about them, “We always try to put on a great show for our fans … Their support is why we’ve made it in this town.”

The guys aspire, with the help of their fans, to branch out and play shows in the surrounding areas such as Savannah, and even go out on the road with other bands to play with new people. A recurring theme I found throughout the interview with the BiRDs was that they care about community, and that is something that many people profoundly lack. They care about themselves succeeding, but they care about other bands succeeding as well. The local band scene in Statesboro is a strong knit community, always willing to help each other out. Music and community is something that is very important to the BiRDs, as it's something they've all been involved in since their youth and have loved ever since.

Anthony was born in New Jersey, but now Statesboro's ears are blessed by him.

So, how did BiRDPERSON get their start playing shows in Statesboro? I never actually asked that question, strangely enough, but I got my answer after asking what the bands worst experience ever was. When I asked they laughed, smiled shyly and looked around at each other. I was entirely lost. "Should we tell him?"

Trey is pretty quiet — but I did learn like the other guys, he hopes to work in music all his life.

They did. At the beginning of their career as a band, the BiRDs decided to throw a party and play for their friends at their home. Some grump decided that they didn't like it and ended up twisting the law in with it. By the time the ordeal was over, however, the notoriety from the event led directly to their very first legitimate gig.

Aaron wants to be in a band for the rest of his life, but also aspires to spread his knowledge and passion of music to others through teaching.

Wheeler is a giant nerd, and I say this in the most complimentary was possible. He's going to do great things.

I talked and hung out with the guys for over an hour, leaving feeling like I had genuinely made four new friends. They are all kind, enthusiastic, hard working guys who are proud and deserve to be proud of all the hard work they've put into BiRDPERSON. The BiRDs aspire to be accessible to everyone, any audience should be able to enjoy and appreciate their music and they will never discriminate.

One result of their hard work will actually become available to you soon. Their EP releases on Spotify, iTunes and all other digital platforms on Feb. 12 and includes their previously released single, "Bobby Moynihan." If you haven't listened to it yet, you should!

The guys also have some shows coming up here in Statesboro:

EP Release Show at Big Shows Burgers, Feb. 12.

Southern Billiards, Feb. 27.

South City Tavern, March 5.

Plus, more to be announced!

I sat in on a practice session, it was lively, fun and they sounded awesome!

Before ending my interview with the BiRDs I asked them a question: "What do you guys want the readers to know about the band?" Their answer was shorter than I expected, but spoke volumes in six words about their characters. The quick, concise, and entirely sincere answer I received was: "BiRDPERSON wants to be your friend. We love you."

If you wanna learn more about BiRDPERSON, you can check out their SoundCloud, Facebook, and their Twitter!