Mothers These Days

Mothers These Days

41
Mothers These Days

Girls, count on the modern mom to tell you these 10 things.

Everyone has encountered that mom who considers herself the “cool mom” who says she is more of a friend than a mother to her daughter. She is also the mom that people occasionally mistake as your sister, or that your crush hits on. If this is your mom, she probably cares excessively about your social life and helping you improve it, maybe even more than your grades. She lives vicariously through you and, although it caused you to fight with her frequently while you were growing up – trying to make her understand that she can’t choose your friends or tell you how to dress – you have to admit that sometimes she prevented you from committing social suicide. To anyone this is sounding familiar to, your mom is probably the only person who will point out…

1. When your makeup is not perfect. She warns you to always keep lip gloss and blush in your purse, to touch up every few hours or blot if you are oily. She can tell when you are still wearing last night’s eyeliner or if your room was dark when you were getting ready. If you try to go barefaced to dinner with her friends, expect a lecture about first impressions and presentation. However, when you look back at pictures from the past you wish she would have nagged you more.

2. When you gain weight. 

Mother: Freshman 15? Your butt is hanging out of those Henri Girl high-waisted shorts.

Daughter: I only gained five pounds, Mom. 

Mother: Lose it. I am not buying you a new wardrobe.

3. When your social media changes. 

Mother: Are you cheating on insta? 

Daughter: I might have put my profile on public, why? 

Mother: Did not recognize all the ratchet likes.

4. When your personal hygiene is lacking. You may be insulted and upset for the rest of the day when mommy dearest tells you that you smell bad and to go take a shower, but at least she told you, because no one else was going to. She can sense when you didn’t brush your teeth and has a radar for unwashed hair, but at least you’re not the greasy girl who’s mom never gives her a heads-up.

5. When you need updates on friends. Almost all of us with technology-savvy mothers have received texts along these lines: 

“Your ex got a new girlfriend. No worries, she is not cute. LOL” 

“Alexa got a boob job. Do not even think about it.” 

“Met Brittany, much prettier in person.”

6. When your outfit is unflattering or outdated.

Mother: No more high low dresses. Out of style. 

Daughter: How’s this?

Mother: I will never understand why you girls like combat boots.

7. When your outfit is inappropriate. This is when she is at her peak of motherhood and cannot put on the young and hip act much longer. She will make you change what you are wearing countless times, not because it does not look good on you, but because it does not look good on her. You will hear things like:

“You can go out tonight as long as you change your outfit. I did not raise you to dress like that.”

“You cannot wear ripped short shorts to a family dinner. How does that reflect on me?”

8. When you need to go out more. 

Mother: Are you neglecting your friends? 

Daughter: I went out three times this week. Sorry, I have been focusing more on studying.

Mother: Just make sure you aren’t spending all of your time with your boyfriend.

9. When you could use a work out. 

No one knows your body type better than your mom. She knows how much you like to eat, what you can actually afford to eat and, especially, how often you need to go to the gym. Mom was just as stressed as you, when you went through your chubby stage. Without a doubt, she cares more about your health than you do. You can tell her that you love your body and do not care about looks all you want, but it will never win a mom battle with this type of woman.

10. When your boyfriend does not meet her standards. She must approve of his looks, height and personality. You can’t marry the boyfriend you are with now because your kids will not come out as she planned and his major is not one that will give him the job she imagined your future husband would have. You can date him temporarily but, then, on to the guy she embarrassingly introduced you to by explaining right in front of him that he looks like Ashton Kutcher and is going to medical school.