7 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Vote for Trump

Spoiler alert: he won't make America great again.

484
Telegraph.co.uk

Donald Trump, a business mogul notorious for his controversial comments, is leading in the polls for the Republican nomination in the 2016 presidential election. Here is why any sane person shouldn’t vote for such a clown.

1. His racist comments about Mexicans.

In Trump’s June 16 announcement declaring his run for the presidency, he stated, ”The Mexican government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.” Trump, with no evidence, jumps to the idea that the majority of immigrants coming from Mexico are bad people.

2. His anti-Muslim antics.

Trump has also confirmed that he would set up a database for registering Muslim-Americans and forcing them to carry identification cards. The public has compared this to the Nazi policies towards Jews, who were required to wear a gold Star of David on their clothes. Rather than addressing the fact that terrorist attacks are works of extremists, Trump is labeling an entire religion as dangerous and wants to impose dehumanizing and discriminatory tactics as a solution.

Trump has also called for a complete shutdown of Muslim refugees entering the country, also stating, "They could be ISIS. ...This could be one of the greatest tactical ploys of all time. A 200,000-man army, maybe. I don't know that it is, but it could be possible."

During his Dec. 15speech at the Naturalization Ceremony this past year, President Obama summed up the fact that America itself is a melting pot of past unwanted refugees by saying, “A century ago, New York City shops displayed signs that read, 'No Irish Need Apply'. Catholics were targeted, their loyalty questioned—so much so that as recently as the 1950s and ‘60s, when JFK ran, he had to convince people that his allegiance wasn’t primarily to the Pope.

Chinese immigrants faced persecution and vicious stereotypes, and were, for a time, even banned from entering America. During World War II, German and Italian residents were detained, and in one of the darkest chapters in our history, Japanese immigrants and even Japanese American citizens were forced from their homes and imprisoned in camps. We succumbed to fear.

We betrayed not only our fellow Americans, but our deepest values. We betrayed these documents. It’s happened before. And the biggest irony, of course, was that those who betrayed these values were themselves, the children of immigrants. How quickly we forget. One generation passes, two generations pass, and suddenly we don’t remember where we came from. We suggest that somehow there is “us” and then there is “them,” not remembering that we used to be “them.” On days like today, we need to resolve to never repeat mistakes like that.

3. His treatment of women.

Fox News' Megyn Kelly called Trump out during the Aug. 6 GOP debate for his sexist comments, telling him: “You have called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals.’" When asked about this interaction later, Trump responded by saying that when Kelly asked him the tough question, she had "blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her... wherever."

In addition, The New York Times reported back in 2011 on an incident with a lawyer and a new mother to 3-month old Elizabeth Beth, who was questioning Trump about a failed real estate project. Trump had what Beth called, “an absolute meltdown,” and said, “You’re disgusting” when she requested a medical break to breast pump.

In "Trump 101: The Way to Success," the billionaire dares to compare women to inanimate objects, saying, "Beauty and elegance, whether in a woman, a building or a work of art, is not just superficial or something pretty to see."

When former Playboy playmate Brande Roderick knelt in front of Trump on "Celebrity Apprentice" to ask if she could be the next project manager, Trump slurred out, “It must be a pretty picture. You dropping to your knees.” I’m pretty sure I don’t need to say anything more on this subject to prove that he’s a complete hog, and these aren’t even all of his barbaric comments regarding women.

4. His priorities are ridiculous.

Trump’s proposal to build a wall between Mexico and the United States is real. Does that sound like the presidency is being taken seriously? His idea of immigration reform is a wall. A wall? Seriously?

5. He flipflops.

In 1999, Trump said, “I just believe the Republicans are just too crazy" and then he quit the Republican Party. In 2001, he quit the Reform Party to register as a Democrat saying, “It just seems that the economy does better under Democrats.” In 2009, Trump registered as a Republican again until two years later, when he registered as an independent.

6. He thinks of America as a business.

When I ask conservative friends why they think people want to vote for Trump, they say it’s because he’s a successful businessman. My response to this is that a businessman is not a politician. Seeing as Trump amassed his wealth due to bailouts and protection from the government, not to mention his initial inheritance, there’s no real proof that Trump will be a successful politician, or that he was even a successful businessman for that matter.

7. He is repulsive.

Donald J. Trump is an embarrassment not only to Republicans and American politics but also to the United States in general. In July, The Fix published an analysis of polling data that highlighted the huge role voters without college degrees, or even high school diplomas, play in supporting Trump. Trump is the candidate of the uneducated, and to elect him to the highest office in the land would be an international embarrassment.