9 Powerful Black Women You Didn't Know About

This is what Black Girl Magic looks like.

442
Audre Lorde

Women's History Month is often centered around learning about the same women over and over. The same women that our textbooks consider "important" in history. It's time to break that habit and learn more about the women that are impacting our society today. These women aren't celebrities with millions of dollars or social media and reality stars. These are real women who put themselves on the front line, women that trail blaze, women that march forward without forgetting to help those behind them, these are women who are truly powerful. So do yourself a favor and learn more about the local female heroes that are actually making a difference. Here are nine awesome ladies that you can check out first.

1. Dr. Kristal Moore-Clemons (@KrisclemonsPHD)

Dr. Kristal Moore-Clemons is a Feminist Historian, Educator, and Social Activist. She earned her B.A. in women’s studies and political science from DePaul University, her M.A. in American studies from Washington State University, her Ph.D. in education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a graduate certificate in women’s studies from Duke University. Dr. Clemons is a feminist historian whose teaching and research agenda seeks to understand the unique narrative of gender, race and class throughout U.S. history. I learned about Dr. Moore-Clemons during a Diaspora Dialogue held on my university’s campus, she served as a panelist that would be discussing the soon to be classic movie Straight Outta Compton. I remember feeling captivated by her words about Hip-Hop and its impact on our culture. Many people underestimate women’s knowledge of topics that are considered “manly”, hip-hop being one of them. Dr. Moore-Clemons has definitely broken that barrier.

“As Black women we can not be afraid of our power. We have to harness and always work for change. We are living in very interesting times right now and the world needs a Black feminist voice now more than ever”. –Dr.Moore-Clemons

2 and 3. Masani Bailey (@Masani_Musa) and Jibri Bailey (@Queenxjhoney)

Masani and Jibri Bailey are free-spirited sisters from St.Petersburg, FL who are better known as “The Hippie Hangout”. The sisters are recent Fall 2015 graduates of Florida A&M University with degrees from the School of Journalism and Graphic Communication. The sisters had a dynamic radio show on Tuesday and Thursdays that aired on Florida A&M University’s WANM 90.5. They also pioneered the “First Kiss: HBCU Edition” movement, where they recorded HBCU students that were unfamiliar with one another who shared a first kiss. It is a showcase of black love. The sisters broke another barrier once more by creating more original black content, this time “SHE: an ode to the Black Woman” the video showcased black men speaking on their opinions of black women. Masani and Jibri not only served as my mentors but also became my friends along the way. They are phenomenal outspoken women that are going to take the promotion of Black content on media and the radio by storm.

“Where there is a women, there is magic.” -Masani and Jibri Bailey

4. Erica Bennett (@ericabennett)

Erica Bennett is a Anchor/ Reporter for WJAX-WFOX in Jacksonville, FL. Ms. Bennett has been the morning news anchor for the past two years and has a bountiful amount of experience in the journalism field. She is from Dallas, TX and received her Bachelor of Journalism degree from The University of Missouri-Colombia. I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Bennett when she came to speak at the Florida A&M university’s chapter National Association of Black Journalist general body meeting. Don't let her pretty face fool you, Erica means business and gave us the real about what it is really like to be a Black journalist in the millennial age. She also spoke about her journey and do’s and don’ts of the field. Her fresh and honest perspective was an eye-opener and motivation to many of the students who attended. Her words left a lasting impression that sticks with me everyday.

“Unfortunately, skin color is a factor in this field, but you cannot let that stop you from achieving your goals.” -Erica Bennett

5. Alexis Davis-Smith

Alexis Davis-Smith is the president and CEO of her own public relations firm, Precise Communications. Ms. Davis-Smith is a graduate of Florida A&M University where she received her B.S. in Public Relations from the School of Journalism and Communications. I had the honor of being able to meet and speak with Mrs. Davis-Smith at the 2015 National Association of Black Journalists conference, where she gave me insight into the world of PR as a Black woman. Not only is she a businesswoman but also she is also an award winning standout Public Relations strategist. Powerful women like Mrs. Davis-Smith are the trailblazers who lead the way and a helping hand for young women with futures in the world of Public Relations.

6. Seren Sensei (@sensei_aisitemasu)

Seren Sensei is a twenty-something fresh-faced vlogger and writer from Washington D.C. who has a passion for pop culture. She holds a B.A. in Journalism and can be seen on her well known YouTube channel where she gives her opinion about things going on in pop and black culture, as well as around the world. Sensei recently published her first book “So About That…A Year of Contemporary Essays on Race and Pop Culture”. I came across Sensei on YouTube of course and her videos take consciousness to another level. She speaks on many thought-provoking topics that others are afraid to address. She is a strong voice for my generation and a great example of a powerful young woman on the rise.

7. Ashley Small (@AshleyRSmall)

Ashley Small is a Digital PR strategist and President of Medley Incorporated from Houston, TX. She received her B.A. in Communications from Texas Southern University and is a Black woman who is taking the Digital PR world by storm. I came across Ms. Small when watching “The Real Talk Back” during the “Being Mary Jane” marathon on BET. She was one out of the four women who discussed what they would do if they were Mary Jane. Ashley's strong answers and presence stuck with me even after the viewing of the program, so I did my research on her. Ms. Small is a pioneer in the millennial age of journalism and an amazing example of Black girl magic.

8. Maya Penn (@mayasideas)

Maya Penn is an American entrepreneur, philanthropist, animator, artist, and the CEO of her eco-friendly fashion company, Maya's Ideas. Penn was born and raised in Atlanta. She started her company in 2008 at the age of 8. Yes, you read that right, 8 years old! Although Maya is now 15 years old she has only gotten better. Maya creates eco-friendly clothing and accessories. Her designs are sold all over the world. Ten to 20 percent of her profits go to local and global charities and environmental organizations. Maya has been featured in Forbes, The View, TIME, ESSENCE, The NRDC, NPR, CNN, Huffington Post, The Steve Harvey Show, Entrepreneur Magazine, FOX 5 Atlanta, Wired, Black Enterprise, Cosmopolitan Magazine, and many other publications. She’s done three TEDTalks. She is also the youngest female to do two back-to-back official TEDTalks. Maya’s awesomeness does not need to be explained because her work is the proof.

9. Nadine Ijewere (@nadineijewere)

Nadine is a London fashion and portrait photographer based in London. She graduated from London College of Fashion with a BA in Fashion Photography. Her inspiration stems from cultural diversity, in liberating and identifying one's self amongst social attitudes to challenge the conventional definition of what 'beauty' is. Nadine's latest series is called "The Misrepresentation of Representation" Nadine decided to shine a light on the concept of Orientalism in fashion. She cast a variety of women of color and shot them against elaborate backdrops that took up to three months to design. If you're ever talking about black girl magic in art and innovation Nadine should definitely come to mind.

“Myself, I just base my art on the way I feel and the way I have been treated in my life and how I see things from my perspective, without the influence of others.” -Nadine Ijewere