15 Things I Miss About Long Island

15 Things I Miss About Long Island

"Lawnnn G'eyelannnn"

323
15 Things I Miss About Long Island
blog.richmond.edu

I've been feeling homesick lately. My mind keeps drifting back to Long Island. I've grown up on Long Island, and to be honest, I was never crazy about it until I got to college. I hated how small and quiet everything was. Nothing ever happened here (so I thought). It didn't occur to me until after I met so many new people from different places, that Long Island is a really special place. My house is located 15 minutes away from a beach, right next to a nautical town, and a 45-minute train ride away from New York City. Not bad.

Here are 15 things I miss about my home:

1. Applebee's

Applebee's is a huge deal on Long Island. A place that everyone can enjoy? Applebee's. Somewhere that celebrates your town's accomplishments? Applebee's. Hanging out with friends after 10 p.m.? Head to Applebee's for half-off appetizers. Their Spinach and Artichoke dip is the way to my heart.

2. The Beach

Though I never lived in one of Long Island's beach towns, the beach is still a pretty big deal to me. It's my happy place. When Hurricane Sandy wrecked it, I was devastated. Thankfully, it's back and more beautiful than ever. It's always an appropriate time to go to the beach, even if it's winter.

3. The Stars

When I was little, when I would get home at nighttime, I would always get out of the car and look up at the stars above my house. I still do! I didn't realize how beautiful the stars were until I couldn't see them between Boston's buildings. Now, I appreciate even the tiniest twinkle of (non-artificial) light in the sky.

4. The Sounds

Since my area is relatively quiet, I can hear almost everything that's happening outside while I'm falling asleep. I hear wind blowing and crickets chirping. In the summer, people down my block have barbecues into the night. I listen to them laughing and drinking. In the morning, I'm woken up by birds. It's just like being Snow White (except not really).

5. Driving

My car is one of the places I feel most myself. It smells like cigarettes (because it used to be my uncle's) and vanilla (because I can't stand the smell of cigarettes). I feel happiest when I have my sunglasses on, the sunroof open and the radio turned all the way up. Sure, Long Island drivers are aggressive, but it's all part of the charm.

6. Real Pizza

If you've never eaten pizza from New York, you've literally never eaten pizza, sorry. You've only had cardboard with some cheese and marinara sauce. As soon as I got off my train home for Spring Break, I stopped at Rose's in Penn Station to experience heaven all over again.

7. Real Bagels

The same goes for bagels. Every time I get a bagel in Boston, it's pretty much just a cracker with some dairy-flavored icing. I miss warm, fluffy bagels that just came out of the oven. Everyone has a bagel order on Long Island. I love a good lightly buttered cinnamon raisin bagel.

8. Diners

Every town on Long Island has a diner. If you need to meet someone for breakfast, lunch, dinner or anything in between, it's pretty much known that you'll be going to a diner. Most families have their favorites. Mine was the Pantry Diner, but then it burnt down on my birthday. The staff there treated us like family. I miss their chicken fingers and waffle fries.

9. News 12

I hate News 12 because of its cheesy stories and low quality, but it was playing in my kitchen every single morning while I got ready for school. I met Carol Silva in the bathroom at Madison Square Garden once! I've always had a little crush on Elisa DiStefano, too. I would have never known when I had a snow day if not for News 12.

10. Malls

In high school, everyone would hang out at malls because they were pretty central locations. My favorite is and forever will be Roosevelt Field, though I do have a soft spot for the Broadway. I get such happy feelings when I walk into this place. It's a proven fact that I will never leave without three macaroons from WOOPS! and a milkshake from Godiva.

11. Elvis Duran and the Morning Show

Obviously, everyone loves listening to the radio in the car, but I spent every morning of my senior year of high school listening to Elvis Duran on Z100. They never fail to put a smile on my face. I know I can listen to them on the iHeartRadio app, but it isn't the same. I wonder how they're doing.

12. Delis

Like diners, every family has their favorite deli. There's one down my street that I can pop into whenever I want, but my dad likes the one around the corner. The families that own both delis know my family really well. I used to get a half a pound of salami from one of them every day.

13. Sunrise Highway

Sunrise Highway is basically the main road that runs through the entirety of Long Island. Merrick Road runs parallel to it, but Sunrise has a lot more going on. This is where most of the diners and car dealerships are. You can get literally anywhere from Sunrise Highway.

14. The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)

Oh, the old LIRR. Though it's sometimes unreliable and kind of expensive, it's the best way into Manhattan. It's actually great for travel between towns, too. The LIRR is kind of like the MBTA in Boston, so I didn't have a ton of trouble adjusting to the T. Fun fact, I can buy a LIRR ticket at a kiosk in under a minute.

15. Train Station Carnivals

There are always carnivals in the summer outside of these LIRR stations, usually in the parking lots. My parents always took me when I was little, but I still love to go even though I'm older. Sometimes, they're accompanied by really cute street fairs. The Bellmore carnival was always the best.

Even though Long Island is relatively small, I love almost everything about it. I'm so proud of where I'm from. I'm happy that spring break is here so I can spend time at home. Strong Island forever!