March 01, 2012
Chip Chip... Hooray!
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Throw away your Fritos and Doritos, my friends. Snack on these healthy chips and feel more energized through out the day. The ingredients may sound "vegan scary" but trust me, I've tried them all and they are delish! These recipes are also extremely easy--perfect for the college student that wants to be fit, but doesn't have the time to slave away in the kitchen on healthy recipes. These chips can also serve as a better alternative for oily/fattening chips at parties.
Ingredients: Olive oil, seasonings of choice (I use sea salt), and fresh kale
• Peel the leafy part away from the stem.
• Layer them flatly on a cookie sheet (I lined it with foil, but the recipe recommends parchment paper).
• Drizzle olive oil all over them.
• Sprinkle sea salt all over them.
• Make sure most of them aren't touching, then pop them in the oven for 20 minutes on 300.
Ingredients: Two large red apples, cinammon.
• Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
• Using a serrated knife or mandoline, thinly slice the apples crosswise, discarding the seeds and both ends. Arrange in a single layer on parchment-paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with the cinnamon.
• Bake the apple slices, turning every half hour, until dry, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove and transfer to racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Ingredients: 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, 2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small), and cooking spray.
• Preheat oven to 425°
• Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
• Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and lightly in the breadcrumb mixture.
• Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet.
• Bake for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Eat immediately!
Augusta is a junior studying advertising. You may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.