A College Senior's Advice on Surviving Finals

I will get you through this week with all of your dignity and most of your hair.

45
The Huffington Post

Finals.

Just the word strikes fear into the heart of every college student in America. No matter our major, our plans for the future, our anything that may divide us during the semester, finals bring us together in a brother or sisterhood of suffering. But there is a way to survive this Godforsaken week and keep your GPA solid. I've done this thing so many times I've lost count, and let me tell you something: there are definitely some ways to help yourself out during your time of need. Gather 'round, friends. I'm gonna tell you some secrets.

You Do Not Need to Freak Out

Finals are never as bad as you think they'll be. Well, sometimes they are. But they're usually not, so that's good. We all psych ourselves out so much that the whole experience becomes so much worse than it actually needs to be. If you make it worse in your mind, you can make yourself forget information that you genuinely do know. And you know more than you think.

1. You gotta put in the work.

In the words of Rihanna, "werk werk werk werk werk, hee see me haffi, werk werk werk werk werk werk, he seemi doomee, dur dur dur dur dur dur." She knows what she's talking about even if we don't. Now I'm about to tell you something serious. I have never once pulled an all nighter. I am a senior and I have a 3.92 GPA, but I've never had to stay up all night to get ready for a test or a project. If you're dedicated and you manage your time, you don't have to pull all night study sessions. That's not to say you should never take a break because of course you should. But sometimes you spend eight hours at a time working on homework. But do you stay up all night? Nah girl. You're sleeping.

2. Eat real food.

There comes a time in the week when you're gonna want some junk food. It will probably be the Sunday night before your first exam. Resist the evil. RESIST! If you start eating all the Doritos and the Ben & Jerry's and the Sour Patch Kids, there will be consequences. Like the acne, and the stomach aches, and the irregular pooping. That's right, I went there. No one wants to feel a rumbling in the nether regions in the middle of an essay exam. Not to mention, you'll just feel gross. You won't feel like yourself, and you need to feel like a glorious land mermaid if you're gonna kill your exams.

3. Don't compare struggles.

During my time in prison college, I've noticed that we all tend to compare who's got it worse. Now listen up and listen well, my angel babies, because it is time to hear the truth. This is not a competition, MMKAY? Everyone thinks they have the hardest finals, and during finals week, everyone thinks they have the hardest life. Don't fall into the trap of comparing who has the most difficult schedule or exam or whatever. When you do, your friends get angry, you get angry, and everybody get angry. Combine that with a room full of people who are broken out and not pooping because they ate a pint of ice cream for breakfast, and it's just a bad time.

4. Don't skimp on sleep.

I've already touched on the importance of sleep, but it really is important to get enough sleep during finals week. People who are extremely sleep deprived display behaviors that are nearly identical to people who are drunk, so unless you wanna show up at your exam in that state, you need to rest. It's also important because sleeping allows your short term memories to convert to long term, which means you'll actually remember the information you've been studying. Not to mention, habitual sleep deprivation leads to all sorts of health problems, like heart disease. So even if it seems like a good idea to stay up and study all night before your big test, it's probably actually better to grab some rest.

5. Remember that this too shall pass.

Finals are not forever. I know it seems like they are a giant soul eating monster designed to steal, kill, and destroy, and maybe they are—but you're gonna be OK! In a week, it'll be just a memory, and you'll be posting your killer grades up on the fridge. Actually, you probably won't, because I have yet to meet a professor who returns final exams. But I digress! The sentiment is the same. You're gonna get through this with flying colors and be free, like the powerful and illustrious unicorn you are.

Images courtesy of quickmeme.com, media.giphy.com, dazedimg.dazedgroup.netdna-cdn.com, pics.onsizzle.com, banksceleste.files.wordpress.com, https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com, https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com, http://s2.quickmeme.com/