7 Reasons Why You Should Date Your Best Friend

When in doubt, keep your boyfriend close, and your best friend closer.

53
Polyvore

Things can get very complicated when you get into a relationship, but if something falls right into place, nothing can give you the feeling that you get when he smiles the second he sees you. Here are some reasons why my boyfriend is my best friend and always will be.

1. I don't feel strapped down.

Being a couple in college, with parties and fraternities and sororities, a lot can get into your head. They can persuade you to think that this happens once in a lifetime. You can't get your college years back, so party while you can. Society begins to tell you, "Oh, boyfriend? In college? You'll never last." The best thing about hearing that come out of everyone's mouths is the fact that he is my best friend. He doesn't hold me back from parties or friends. He knows that I have mostly guy friends. He knows that I will have days where I need a girl night. So, yes, a college relationship can be hard. However, when everything I want to do is with him, it's okay.

2. We can laugh until the sun comes up.

Living in different states while college is on break is hard; long distance is even trickier than a college relationship. However, when you have both on your hands you have to make the most out of it: that’s exactly what we do. Skype is a beautiful thing, as are long distance phone calls. Being my best friend, nothing ceases to make me laugh. The stupidest things can put a smile on my face. I don't know if his voice just makes me so happy I laugh until I cry, or he's just so damn hilarious. Every moment I spend with him, I laugh, even in the most serious situations. The first night we ever Skyped, we were laughing for six hours, and that's not an exaggeration. The sun came up when I realized I had class in two hours.

3. I never get tired of listening and telling to the same old stories.

I tell awful stories. Everyone knows that. I add every single tiny detail, to the dot. Which makes it worse for him when I always tell the same stories over and over and over again. It's even better when I notice him start to do the same thing. He rubs off on me and I rub off on him. We are in the middle of watching a movie, I pause it, and begin to enlighten him on my class schedule and everything the teacher's assistant did to piss me off today. Need I tell you, that I told him that over dinner and right when I got home? He just looks into my eyes, listens, nods his head, and then tackles me into a hug and laughs at me for the stupid stories I tell 50 times.

4. Dates don't matter to me.

I'm sure a lot of couples can relate to this one. If you are dating your best friend, it is so easy to just be a lazy bum at home, grab the popcorn or Chinese food, and just watch Netflix all night. Dates have never been a "thing" to us; we don't care about spending money to have a good time. The good times we have are whenever we are together. When we find something completely random to do or if we are simply just sitting on the bed staring at each other in silence. There's no one I would rather be with or do nothing with than my best friend.

5. We don't have a timeline, we just live for right now.

Sure, most couples have a summer or year that they want to get married. Yes, we have talked about it constantly without ceasing to remember that regardless of even whether we get married or not, we are going to spend the rest of our lives together. It doesn't matter if we have rings on to prove it, we know we love each other. The adventures we want to spend happen on random days, and the best memories aren't even planned. Of course, we both want kids and to be a happy, square family with a white picket fence and the whole shebang. But, in the long run, we aren't rushing. This is the best part of our lives, when we are young, and we are spending it together. I'm spending it with my best friend.

6. I never stay mad at you...or can't at least.

Petty fights happen every day. About nothing. Literally the dumbest things can come up about who ate the last cupcake, or why did you text her back, or why are you PMSing so much. Well, in the moment they seem like fights worth fighting. But on average, five minutes later, tears are rolling down our cheeks from laughing or explaining how much we love each other. Cheesy, right? However, there has never been more than an hour I have spent mad at him. He makes me laugh and what we have, I don't want to lose. Is this fight really worth it? No. Sure, I would appreciate some flowers, but you're enough for me. Nothing can stop us from being happy and infatuated with each other. Not even a fight about the last cupcake.

7. The adventures await us.

The long, lazy vacations, the short and sweet honeymoon, the fantasy destination wedding, the crazy "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants, and the trips that just went utterly wrong are what we look forward to. It's all memories that are made with the ones we love that truly matter in the end.