Why You Absolutely Should Go Greek At CSULB

Are you a New Member at Long Beach and have questions? Look no further!

375

Since I've joined a sorority, people always wonder what it's like to be Greek at The Beach. Well, your answers are finally here! Here's an FAQ for all the New Members at Long Beach by yours truly.

Why did you decide to join Greek Life?

I knew I wanted to be a part of Greek life since I was very young (it’s huge in the South, where I’m from). Being an only child, I felt that it could give me the sisterly bonds I never had. I also knew I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself—joining Alpha Omicron Pi turned out to be better than I could've ever wished for.

What has your experience with your sorority been like?

My experience with my sorority has been amazing. I have learned a lot about myself since I’ve joined and have met so many people I would have never met otherwise.

What are some of the fees you have to pay?

The dues that my sisters and I pay go towards international fees, so my sorority as a whole can grow. In addition, we make yearly donations to our philanthropy, Juvenile Arthritis research and the Arthritis Foundation. Our dues pay for our events like sisterhoods (bonding events between our chapter members), socials (mixers with fraternities and sororities), and philanthropies (fundraisers to raise money for arthritis research). Our chapter in particular, Lambda Beta, puts on events like Brinner (breakfast for dinner) and Spaghetti Dinner in order to raise funds for our philanthropic efforts.

In total, how much would you say you've spent?

About three thousand in total for four semesters — which may sound like a lot, but considering that I've received everything I've put into the sorority back in many ways, it's been worth every penny.

Had you known what the cost was going to be, would you still have joined?

I actually knew how much it was going to cost when I joined, so I actually saved money the year before so I could pay for my own dues.

What is the most rewarding part of joining a Greek organization?

Being in my sorority AOII has helped me become comfortable in my own skin. I used to want to be like other girls, but my sisters have helped me realize I’m fine just the way I am. Being accepted is something you can’t easily attain, but it's something that comes easily with sisterhood.

Is Greek life really about the philanthropy and sisterhood, or is it mostly about the social aspect?

I can’t speak for any other sorority except for my own chapter, but we definitely have a great combination of all three. Our sisterhood is always something we put great emphasis on. My chapter has weekly sisterhood events and even has a retreat each semester. There is always a community service event each month for sisters to participate in to make our local community a better place. We have socials with a variety of fraternities about once a month as well.

Do you still have more questions about Greek Life for me? Feel free to ask me in the comment section below!