Interview with Marisa Sergi, Miss New York Collegiate America 2015

After achieving success both academically and professionally at just 20 years old, some individuals may decide to take a break. For Marisa Sergi, her "don't stop now" mentality has her reaching for the stars; recently named Miss New York Collegiate America 2015, Marisa is a force to be reckoned with.

47

From attending an IVY League University, creating her own wine brand, all the way to being a sister of Alpha Chi Omega  - the newly named Miss New York Collegiate America 2015 is unstoppable.

Marisa Sergi, 20, was recently crowned Miss New York Collegiate America 2015; she will be competing for the National title, Miss Collegiate America, at the national pageant in Orlando, Florida (June 30-July 5th 2015). A native to Lowellville, Ohio, Sergi is a rising senior with a Viticulture and Enology major at Cornell University. Sergi is a member of the Cornell Women’s Football Rugby Club (CWFRC), designer for the Cornell Fashion Collective, President of Cornell University’s Viticulture and Enology Club (CUVEC), sister of Alpha Chi Omega and an aspiring business woman who has already launched her own wine brand, Redhead. With the number of activities Sergi participates in, along with her outstanding academic experience, it is no shock that she was able to take home the crown as Miss New York Collegiate America. Below is an exclusive interview with Marisa in which she details what it felt like to win her crown, the platform she will represent, and future plans she has both personally, as well as plans to compete in the national pageant in Orlando, Florida.

Kiara Butler:  Congratulations on your title win! Tell me, how did you feel when you were announced Miss New York Collegiate America 2015? 

Marisa Sergi: To be honest, I felt like I was in shock; I was genuinely speechless. I feel so honored to have been chosen from so many amazing girls and to have the opportunity to represent New York State.  I really resonate with the platform that Miss Collegiate America stands for, so being able to represent our state as a whole really makes me feel like I can help create change.

KB:  The journey to earn your title must have been stressful and at times overwhelming, do you mind telling me about the major steps you took to get where you are today? 

MS: Unfortunately, I experienced bullying as a child. Although being bullied was a traumatic experience, I overcame my personal struggles and discovered that I am my own individual. I had a supportive family who helped me realize that I was not simply what people told me I was, but rather a unique person who drove my own success. Instead of letting others get me down, I decided to monopolize on my uniqueness and create success for myself. I think it is important to maintain a positive attitude and always work hard; turning what some may perceive as "weaknesses" into strengths, is key.

KB: Knowing you’re a bubbly and inviting person who has worked extremely hard to get where you are, I’m not at all surprised by your accomplishments, but was there ever a time where you were extremely nervous about competing or worried about your place in the pageant? 

MS: I was not sure how many girls I would be up against, so of course I was nervous, but more importantly, I saw it as an opportunity to develop positive moral values professionally and personally.

KB: What has been the most rewarding part of your experience in competing for the title? 

MS: I have little experience in competing, but I realize that beauty comes from within and from your heart. All of the amazing support and enthusiasm I have received from my peers in school, as well as hometown, has been overwhelming. I will be advocating for the pageant's national platform, B.R.A.V.E, (building respect and values for everyone). I feel strongly about this platform and want to raise awareness, especially concentrating on anti-bullying among children.

KB: The platform that you represent with your title is an anti-bullying campaign that works to promote a safe environment in schools. Tell me a little bit more about the mission and goals of B.R.A.V.E (Building Respect and Values for Everyone). 

MS: B.R.A.V.E. stands for Building Respect and Values for Everyone. This platform works to raise awareness within classrooms, libraries and communities about the importance of eliminating bullying. Through presentations given to school-aged children and their parents, B.R.A.V.E works to promote a bully-free and safe environment. B.R.A.V.E. works to reduce the negative effects of bullying, and give advice to school-aged children on how to deal with issues relating to bullying. For more information, you can visit <http://www.americashighschoolpageant.com>.

KB: That must be a rewarding experience! Now, I know you just won your title recently, but do you have some ideas or plans on how to integrate the goals of B.R.A.V.E, into actions that will create change within schools? 

MS: Right now I have discussed an anti-bullying scholarship with some other businesses. It is too early to say too much more, but with having personally experienced bullying in the past, I would also like to give back to my local school district and try and create change while promoting B.R.A.V.E. Bullying is not limited to a certain race, age, or geographical location and I want to help others who may be in the same position I once was.  

KB: In being a sister of Alpha Chi Omega, I know that we both strive to increase awareness of domestic violence and the effects it has on women and families. Do you see a potential to merge the mission of Alpha Chi Omega, as well as B.R.A.V.E’s mission, in order to demonstrate the importance of mental and physical health for women and children? 

MS: Yes, I am currently working with Jackie Kalomiris, the president of Alpha Chi Omega - Zeta Phi Chapter] at Cornell. Having just recently won the title, we are still coming up with ideas on how to merge the two missions together and create awareness for the mental and physical health of both women and children. We are considering hosting a philanthropy event that can bring together the Cornell community, and create change for local women and children in need. Not only are we lucky enough to have the support of our Alpha Chi sisters, but we also have support within the Cornell community.

KB: You are involved in so many activities! From being a sister of Alpha Chi Omega, to a student at Cornell University as well as manufacturing your own wine – you seem to do it all! Do you mind sharing a little more about the wide range of activities you participate in?  

MS: I am currently president of the Cornell University Viticulture and Enology Club (CUVEC), a second year designer for the Cornell Fashion Collective, rugby player for the Cornell women's team, and a future T.A for one of Cornell's most popular classes, Wines and Vines. I also conduct research with a food science professor, in hopes of formulating a recipe for a healthy puffed snack made out of grape pomace (skin). 

MS. Also, I am still working on my wine brand, RedHead. I am working to establishing potential partnerships with select companies. Recently, I just secured a partnership with, Elizabeth Shvidkey - a close friend and sister of Alpha Chi Omega. We hope to expand sales and production rates by 50% this upcoming year. 

KB: In looking at the academic year that is quickly approaching, how do you plan on balancing all your previous responsibilities with your newly won title?  

MS: Although balancing all my responsibilities might be challenging, I don't have any plans to give up my involvement within various clubs at Cornell - I really value the opportunities and experiences I have had so far and I want to continue making memories my last year in school. Academically, I was able to complete most of my core classes required for graduation. Currently, I am taking a lot of elective courses, so I am fortunate enough to have a more open schedule. Having more free time will allow me to focus on my responsibilities as Miss New York Collegiate America. I also hope to raise awareness of the Miss New York Collegiate America Pageant on campus,so students can learn about the platform I represent and even become involved in raising awareness for B.R.A.V.E. 

KB: The successes you have recently experienced are unbelievable, but it is clear that it is directly due to your determination, and drive to achieve your dreams. Do you have any advice for college students who hope to compete in the Miss Collegiate America Pageant, or for those who hope to create their own business?

MS: I believe the person who is truly the most beautiful on the inside, will be best at demonstrating those genuine feelings to the wide range of individuals they hope to represent. Competing in pageants takes a lot of hard work and determination, but that one girl who truly gives it her all, will have the best chance at success! 

MS: As for creating your own business and following your dreams? Again, you need determination and hard work. Being able to say I have my very own wine that is currently being produced and sold at wineries is an amazing feeling, but I would never have made it this far if I had not dedicated hours on end to construct a solid plan and specific goals.

KB: In looking towards the future, what are some of your plans to prepare for the national pageant competition?   

MS: People that have achieved success, have not gotten to where they are by doing nothing. They have put in countless hours to achieve their goals.I hope to look back a few years, or even a year from now and see noticeable change. I hope to be that much closer to winning the national Miss Collegiate title. In regards to my business, I will strive to increase sales and work to get my wine sold in even more wineries.

If you would like to contact Marisa Sergi to participate in philanthropy events or to make appearances, she can be reached at mas627@cornell.edu.