A Guide To Cornell's Greek Philanthropies

Who do you give to? Do you know which philanthropy your sorority or fraternity donates to and why? If you don't it might be a good time to ask this question.

107

My sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, had our 5K Color Run last weekend at the Cornell Plantations. All of the donations we received will be donated to the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation that supports school and college readiness. Nevertheless, we are not the only sorority that has a national philanthropy. 

• Alpha Chi Omega supports victims of domestic violence
  • Alpha Delta Pi supports the Ronald McDonald House charities
  • Alpha Epsilon Phi supports the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation and Sharsheret
  • Alpha Gamma Delta supports Juvenile Diabetes awareness and research
  • Alpha Omicron Pi supports Arthritis Research Foundation
  • Alpha Phi supports Women’s Heart Health
  • Alpha Sigma Alpha supports Special Olympics, S. June Smith Center and Girls On the Run International 
  • Alpha Sigma Tau supports the Pine Mountain Settlement School and Habitat for Humanity  
  • Alpha Xi Delta supports Autism Speaks  
  • Chi Omega supports the Make-A-Wish Foundation  
  • Delta Delta Delta supports St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 
  • Delta Gamma supports Service for Sight 
  • Delta Phi Epsilon supports Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD)
  • Kappa Alpha Theta supports Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)  
  • Kappa Delta supports Girl Scouts of the USA, and Prevent Child Abuse America
  • Kappa Kappa Gamma supports Reading is Fundamental  
  • Omega Phi Beta supports domestic violence prevention
  • Phi Mu supports Children’s Miracle Network 
  • Pi Beta Phi supports First Book  
  • Sigma Delta Tau supports Prevent Child Abuse America  
  • Sigma Kappas supports Alzheimers Research
  • Sigma Lambda Upsilon supports literacy
  • Sigma Sigma Sigma supports The Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation  
  • Theta Alpha Lambda supports the Clinton Country Stop Domestic Violence
  • Theta Nu Xi supports Girls for a Change
  • Theta Phi Alpha supports The House That Theta Phi Alpha Built and Camp Friendship 
  • Zeta Tau Alpha supports Think Pink Breast Cancer Education and Awareness 

Sororities hold bake sales, cook-offs, dodgeball tournaments, and many other events to raise money and awareness for their organizations. I personally believe that money is not enough and that awareness and education have to be a part of a philanthropy initiative. For example, if you think about the ALS ice bucket challenge, it not only raised millions of dollars for research towards a cure for ALS but it raised awareness to the world about what ALS was and could probably help many people diagnose ALS earlier. All of the sororities at Cornell, including the newly added Phi Mu, have great charities that they support and all of them have at least one event per semester.

Sororities aren't the only ones who have philanthropies though. Fraternities also have causes that they support.

• Phi Sigma Kappa supports the Special Olympics 
  • Lambda Chi Alpha supports Feeding America
  • Kappa Sigma supports the Military Heroes Campaign
  • Chi Phi supports the Boys & Girls Clubs of America
  • Pi Alpha Nu supports the Wounded Warrior Project
  • Pi Kappa Phi supports the Ability Experience 

So when rushing a sorority or fraternity you might want to think about what there cause is because you're about to stand up for it (Yes, I just took that line from Sorority Wars and if you haven't watched it yes maybe you should because its actually Lucy Hale acting at her best).