Why Trump, Carson and Sanders Should Be Thanking American Political Discourse

How political discourse has provided new opportunities for candidates.

18

Americans are sick and tired of the political elite. The class of political leaders who were once emulated, like John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan, are now scrutinized and discredited for their work amid the frustration and discontent Americans have felt towards the political elite over the past half century.

Our country is constantly changing, and so are our political sentiments towards Washington. Our government is now more unpopular than ever. A whopping 38 percent of citizens polled by Gallup last week trust our governments handling of domestic concerns.

This frustration is carried out on some of the nations top government officials, who have been quick to be blamed for government inefficiency. Politicians such as John Boehner, Jeb Bush, or even Joe Biden, should be emulated like their predecessors were. However, the simple truth is this is no longer the case.

The glory that used to come with holding a top government office is now overshadowed by conflict, blame and distrust. To paraphrase revered Colby government professor Cal Mackenzie, it’s not that our political leaders are worse than they once were, but the issues they face have become increasingly difficult to resolve. There is a lot of truth behind these words and it is evident that the American people as a whole don’t understand how difficult it is for our leaders to legislate while battling the immense challenge of balancing compromise with constituent interests.

I wish Americans could trust our government officials to do their job. I genuinely yearn for our political elite to step back into the limelight and lead our country as they were destined to since the days of James Madison and Alexander Hamilton.

If they could, we wouldn't have unqualified buffoons captivating the hearts of the electorate. Men like Donald Trump, Ben Carson and Bernie Sanders; all respected for their diverse accomplishments, all completely inept in politics, and unqualified to lead our country. We don’t need a doctor, a business man or a socialist fool in the White House come 2017. All we need is a leader. Someone who won’t put down other candidates (Trump), or point fingers at the one percent (Sanders), condemn a different racial minority from seeking office (Carson), or send confidential emails on a separate server and then lie about it (Clinton). These four politicians are leading most polls not because of their political prowess or widespread appeal, but because none of them fit the mold of a typical politician. The worst part is that America is buying into their alternative, non-conformist perspective they bring to the table. You ask why? Because of the widespread frustration felt across lines of party, gender and race.

Our generation has learned from years of empty promises not to trust even our most revered political leaders from H.W. Bush through Obama. For instance, what did American citizens learn from Herbert Walker Bush in 1998 when he said, “Read my lips; No new taxes…This is my mission, I will complete it?" Simply, candidates policy goals and promises don't pan out as well as the candidate anticipated. Consequentially, H.W. was ousted after four years in office. Examples such as this help explain our citizens have a tendency to distrust our perspective leaders in recent elections.

This end result culminates in the 2016 election cycle, where we have widespread appeal for candidates that political experts would deem unqualified to lead our country. Additionally, the overwhelming factor that has led to success for Trump, Carson and Sanders so far has been individual focus to very specific policy goals that seem to gain traction for large populations of Americans across party lines.

Donald Trump, for example, has barely provided more than ten second sound bites on any policy issue aside from immigration. He has successfully identified a common issue that many Americans are passionate about and has gained mass appeal for his tough stance on immigration and willingness to stand up to political correctness. Ever since The Donald made derogatory remarks against Mexican immigrants, his increasing support has added fuel to the fire for the candidate to continuously oppose political correctness and "speech-nazies." Hence, the “I’ll use the word anchor baby” comment made last month. In fact, Trump has benefited from such comments because he stands up for the silent minority of Americans who get unnecessarily attacked for comments that some perceive as "insensitive" or "offensive."

Ben Carson, another figure of particular interest, has gained popularity as an outsider, disconnected for the political elite. The man has come across in debates as mild-mannered and moderate, yet recently has shocked the media with a comment straight out of Trump’s book. Carson exclaimed that he would not vote for a Muslim president. Following precedent, this doesn't seem like a statement Carson would normally have said, but I theorize that he is purposely feeding off Trump’s energy and using the shock-value, attention grabbing line to boost his attention from the media and voters alike.

Although Bernie Sanders is a career politician, his political orientation leaves him far enough left to be considered an outsider. The self proclaimed socialist is absolutely out of touch with the principles that have built us so strong like American exceptionalism and free enterprise. Sanders represents ideals contrary to the growth of both our citizenry and our economy. Sanders’ popularity can characterize him as a close-pin candidate, one whose support can be explained by the increasing distrust and growing Democratic sentiment of “Anybody but Hillary.”

Thus, these unconventional candidates have benefited mightily from the frustration towards career politicians. They have Allowed GOP Outsiders, Ben Carson and Donald Trump to rise by an equal proportion that Democrats now side with Bernie Sanders over Hillary. Among Democrats, Sanders support remains contingent on the distrust for Hillary Clinton as a result of the email scandal and shady fundraising for the Clinton Foundation. Republicans, however have sided with unconventional candidates amidst the lack of corralling for another Bush, and feeling that alternative Republican candidates are too tied up in the corruption of Washington and their large donations from Wall Street and Tea Party interests. Furthermore, 75 percent of citizens feel that there is widespread corruption in our government, according to a Gallup poll. Whether the corruption is real or merely perceived, perception is everything when it comes to the presidential race on the national spotlight. As of now, perceptions is ruling in favor of candidates who are less connected to Washington and Wall Street special interests.