To My Sister

To My Sister

Live Like Nobody's Watching

8
To My Sister

As you start your freshman year, know that you are the most beautiful person I know, inside and out. As clichéd as that sentiment is, there is no other way for me to describe the pride that I feel in having you as a sister. 

With that in mind, here is some advice for the next four years of your life.

Make friends with everyone you meet. The economy is in desperate need of a makeover. With the high rate of unemployment for post-graduate students, you can't afford to ignore anyone you meet. Every person you talk to has the potential to be the next Steve Jobs. Being friends with a wide variety of people will not only broaden your college experience, but also give you the opportunity to be an investor in startups, make connections to companies and network across the country. 

Always attend football games. Nothing says college more than an all-American tailgate with the camaraderie of your entire school visible in a sea of orange and purple or, in your case, red and white -- go Mocs! Football games are the best way to let loose and form friendships through a shared loathing of your competitor. Not to mention, it's a great excuse to get dressed to the nines on a Saturday afternoon. 

Talk to your teachers after class. I know, with their doctorate degrees and seemingly endless sea of students, it's intimidating to approach a professor. However, the majority of professors want to see their students succeed, especially the students whom they have met and who have shown a genuine interest in a class. The first step to being able to skip a class so that you can go home a day early for Thanksgiving (or get that extension on your thesis), is by talking to your professor. 

Join any club that looks interesting. Freshman year is all about trying as many things as you can and finding out what you like and don't like. This is the only time in your life where you can decide between midnight yoga or pot-throwing at sunrise. Make the most of all of the opportunities that await you. 

Say yes to last minute plans with friends. The most memorable times from college are the late nights spent with your best friends making Wendy's runs or crossing things off of your school's bucket list. Believe me, as good as that next episode of One Tree Hill is going to be, nothing beats crazy shenanigans that require six cups of coffee the next morning. Most of all, embrace this time, because it flies by faster than you could ever imagine.