Hello!! My Name Is...

Hello!! My Name Is...

Ohhhhhh come on NOW...keep reading...I know you're just dying to find out what my name is.

26
Hello!! My Name Is...

HELLO Clemson University! It's your new EIC, Alexis Volpe, reporting for duty.

I'm here to fill you in on the old, the new, and the Greek. But first, I would like to rehash some of the buzz still buzzing from last semester, our old EIC Gabby Nugent. As many of you don't know, I was handed down this lovely torch (aka EIC of The Odyssey) by Gabby Nugent, former Clemson Student, Delta Zeta, and roommate/soulmate/best friend.  

Note to Gabs/Gabby: I never thought in a million years I would have met someone as spectacular and special as you, but fortunately I did. I could have never survived the first two years of college without our late night tea talks, early morning sunrise "walks", or our anything of that matter. Somehow being randomly paired to room with you was a true blessing in disguise, because somewhere between insanity and sane, I found you. While I still remain completely stumped as to why New Jersey/New York took you from me, they're welcome to give you back any time now...PLEASE AND THANK YOU. Because without you, who's going to right (write) all my wrongs? You know I'm not the english major here, Gabs. Needless to say, I'm going to miss you. I thank you for all the amazing doors and opportunities you have opened up for me. You have successfully guided me to a bigger and brighter future. Without this paper and you, I wouldn't have known how to follow my dreams (aka working and living with you in NYC a la The Devil Wears Prada). So with that being said, Gabby Nugent, I thank you for being you and I thank you for tolerating me being me. As Hannah Montana said: "You're one in a Million" and don't forget it.  

Sorry for the sappiness guys, but if you have a best friend like Gabby, of course you understand the need for a little shout out to remind them how wonderful they are. Don't forget to remind the ones you love why you love them...it's important to let them know because it makes all the difference in the world to them...wink wink, go make someone smile. 

Now, lets get down to business, shall we? As the school days head our way and the tan lines begin to fade, we all stop and ponder a couple of things: What does this year have in store for me? Will recruitment be as dreadful as they say? Are my professors good or bad? Are my classes easy or hard? Is my schedule hell or heaven? Is Clemson all it's said to be? While I can't answer these questions specifically for each one of you, I can tell you from personal experience: you are EXACTLY where you need to be...the good ole Clemson University. 

Freshman: YOU DID IT!! You have been accepted to the greatest college in the nation. Next step: To rush or not to rush? Yes...RUSH. At least try it out to see if it's your thang. For me, joining a sorority and being a part of Clemson's Greek life was a way to become closer with other students and make lifelong friendships. Why wouldn't you want that? (Yep, beats me). 

Some advise for you youngins: 

1. Download the Clemson App. When it comes to finding all the buildings your classes are in, it's an absolute life savor.  It will make you NOT look as if you're a completely lost freshman. 

2. Become BEST friends with your professors. Trust me, you'll go so much farther in your classes. Plus, in college there are no teachers pets, just consider yourself smarter than the rest of the class. 

3. Pack a bottle of water.  Clemson is a huge campus. Not only will you have fabulous legs by the end of first semester, but also it's August, people. That means by the time you make it to your class, you'll be thanking me for reminding you to pack that nice bottle of cold water you have in your book bag. The THIRST is real. 

4. Go to ALL football games. Why? ...You mean, why not! Tailgating is unreal. Being in the student section, screaming your head off is amazing. Experiencing "The Hill" is like nothing you've ever done.

5. ENJOY BEING AT THE BEST SCHOOL EVER. 

Sophomores: You did it...you have successfully survived your freshman year of college. A congratulations is in order for you. You know the rest. To be Continued...

Juniors: WOW!! We are getting old...we've been through this mojo two times now. However, this is the year we fully get into the swing of what we want to do with the rest of our lives (such a scary thought...I know). However on the bright side of things, we get our RINGS this year...YAY, we did it. We're almost done kids. 

Seniors: SEEYA!! (I'm just kidding, you'll truly be missed. But one thing to remember: you've got two semesters left of college...make the absolute best of it). 

Cheers to a great year ahead of us, Tigers!