The So-Called Srat-Star Dress Code

The So-Called Srat-Star Dress Code

282
The So-Called Srat-Star Dress Code

When was the last time you saw a girl wearing a t-shirt from that date party, that one time, that actually fit her? Chances are, never.

Throughout college campuses, girls all wear the same outfit, just in different colors, possibly covered in different letters. Here are the necessities that people associate with this, so-called, srat-star look, and why this comfy outfit choice is necessary to wear at least four times a week. 

1. T-shirt. When it comes to t-shirts, size does matter. And no, I'm not talking about picking out a t-shirt that properly fits you. If your t-shirt isn't at least two sizes too big for you, it should be kept in the back of your closet, or handed down to your new little.  At first, this concept of wearing a too-big-for-you t-shirt might seem absurd, but just wait until you venture out into the world wearing it. All of a sudden, everything will seem better, and why? Because your t-shirt has brought you to comfort levels you didn't know were attainable. 

Bonus points if your t-shirt has a frocket and even more bonus points if it's not your t-shirt to begin with. On the bright side, when your t-shirt is so big that it could be a dress, chances are your legs look pretty skinny, which leads us to...

2. Norts. Otherwise known as Nike shorts, which you can find all over any athletic store. Normally, if worn correctly, your Norts will not match your t-shirt in anyway. Seriously though, if you're wearing a teal shirt, your norts better be hot pink. If you think this concept is ridiculous, just remember, it's not like anyone will be able to see them, anyway. Norts are every girl's best friend, simply because they're the comfiest freakin' things you could wear. 

3. Leggings. Eventually, there will be that one day in the semester where the sun isn't shining as bright, there's a bit of a breeze, and your Norts just won't do. We all know wearing pants is the enemy. You'll probably wake up and think "I need to wear pants today! God forbid I dress up for class. What can I do?" The answer will always be: leggings. Otherwise known as God's gift to the planet, leggings are neck in neck on the comfy scale with Norts. Everyone can appreciate how comfy a nice pair of leggings can be (LuLuLemon, if your leggings game is super strong). Don't worry! They still compliment your XL t-shirt just as nicely as Norts do. 

4. The Patagonia. Chances are, if you're pulling out the leggings, you're also pull out the oversized Patagonia pull-over. Fits just like an over-sized glove. Your t-shirt will also probably be sticking out of the bottom. Just go with it. 

5. The Shoes. For your footwear, there are three options: Nike sneakers, Chacos, Jack Rodgers. 

For your Nike sneakers, it's best if the colors in your shoes are as vibrant as the colors in your Norts but, once again, it's best if they don't match anything else you own. Bonus points if you wear Nike mid-calves with them. And, the more you wear them, the more people think you actually work out... even though you probably don't. It's okay. We're all with you. 

When it comes to Chacos, apparently they're the comfiest shoes, good for all outdoor activities, great walking shoes, leave great tan-lines, etc. I stick to sneakers.

After a few weeks and seven mean blisters later, you did it! You broke them in! Your Jack Rodgers probably become your go-to sock-free choice of footwear, as they should. Most of the time they're probably way too nice to pair up with your outfit, but #yolo, just like everything else, they're finally comfortable. 

6. Arm candy. This isn't pertaining to your boyfriend or the boy you met the other night. It's pertaining to your wrist, which should be covered in EmiJays, Lilly and Laura bracelets and that really nice watch you got for your birthday. 

7. The monogram. Let's just say if you don't have something monogramed on you on a daily basis, you're simply doing it all wrong. Go get something monogramed -- a necklace, a bracelet, a notebook, a Lilly planner, a backpack -- anything -- and go back to number one, above. I learned this the hard way. 

If you've made it this far into my article,  congrats! I know you must think I'm insane. But, there is a reason here, and that reason is comfort. Everyone wants to be comfortable, all the time. Therefore, everyone who dresses this way, most likely also looks a bit messy. All the time. 

Why is this dress-code the stereotype for sorority girls? 

Maybe it's because most of the time, coincidentally, our letters are somewhere to be found on the front pocket. Maybe it's because it's easier to point the finger at sororities, instead of female college students. Either way, chances are the girls on campus, including myself, dress for comfort, not for the srat-star stereotype people assume we're striving for. Each component of the srat-star dress code, above, simply describes the trends that girls in college -- not just girls in sororities -- have clung to. At the end of the day, we all like to wear the same things because they're cool and hip, not because our sorority told us to. 

It's time to take the heat off of sorority girls, and realize that the so-called srat star look is, in fact, the new lazy college girl look of today.